Chapter 12: Put Away Your Filthy Money

"Please explain why you drove a whole town over to go to a..." I looked up at the sign. "Gas station?"

Really? A gas station?  I guess they have decent burritos or whatever. But I was expecting to go to the diner or something. And he just had to go a whole town over? I already told him I was starving!

"Yes to a gas station, now shush." He said walking around the car to meet me at the front of the car. "Lets go." He said taking my hand.

I'm not gonna lie, I like his hand in mine. It's nice. I'm just glad we're the town over, no one I know will see this and make up stupid rumors.

Instead of walking into the entrance of the gas station, we go around to the back.

"Chance, why are we goi-" I stopped talking when I saw a small coffee shop. "Oh my! It's so cute!" I said quickening my pace, which resulted in me being yanked back because Chance was still in the same spot staring at the small shop. How was I the one who got yanked instead of him? He just stayed in the same spot... Ugh curse strong people.

"You okay?" I asked squeezing his hand.

"Hmm?" He hummed looking down at me. "Oh yeah I'm fine. What're you waiting for let's go." He said taking large paces. I was yet again being yanked, forward this time.

"Slow it down you giraffe!" I said digging my shoes into the ground.  "If you hadn't noticed, your super tall."

"Ha ha," he said mockingly shortening his paces. "You're tall too." He added.

"Not as tall as you." I said as we got to the entrance of the little shop. "What's this little places name? I didn't see a sign." I asked walking in.

"Martinez Coffee, the signs by the gas station's," he answered walking to the front counter.

I looked around following him. This place is sorta big on the inside, it has 3 booths in the corner right next to each other. None of which were occupied.  The front counter was really small though, it had enough room for the register and a piece of lined paper next to it. Behind the counter was a small swinging door.

Chance hit the bell and a short Latina women walked through the swinging door. She was older and a little over weight.

"Ahh, Chance! How's my favorito cliente?"

"I'm fine Mrs. Martinez. How's Diego?" He asked.

"Trouble as always. Chico tonto." She said rolling her eyes. "Who's the chika bonita?" I blushed. From my couple years of Spanish class I managed to learn a bit. For one chico tonto mean dumb boy. And chika bonita means pretty girl.

"I'm Ellie." I said sticking out my hand for her to shake, very aware that my other hand is still holding Chance's.

"Aw Ellie, bonita nombre.  I'm Ms. Martinez." She said shaking my hand. "Anyways." She said looking at Chance. "The normal?"

"Yes please."

"Normal?" I asked

"You'll see." He said winking. Squeezing my hand. "I'll need 2 of them." He yelled for Ms. Martinez to hear in what I can assume is the kitchen.

"Okay!" She yelled back.

"Lets go sit down." He said dragging me to sit in one of booths. When we got to the booth he let go of my hand, to say I wasn't disappointed would be a lie. We sit opposite of each other, slowly an uncomfortable silence crept on us.

"Urgh," he coughed. "You look nice." He finally said. I looked down at my attire, same baggy crop top and ripped jeans.

"Um, I wear this almost everyday." I said laughing.