Chapter 8: What're These Feelings?

What about this cover? Enjoy!! (The original name was Saving Grace but was changed to Almost A Lost Cause)
&&&&&&

Why am I feeling this for him? I mean I've only known him for what? A week or two?

My mind has been conjuring up new questions ever since I found out Chance died. Though they got him back to a steady heartbeat, I still couldn't get over the feeling I had when I found out his heart stopped beating. It was like nothing else mattered anymore, all time stopped, just like my heart.

After I had been told that news I stood there frozen in shock. I was going to lose yet another friend. Why did these things happen to me? My heart dropped. I don't know who moved me to a chair or whether I did it myself but I don't remember anything in the time it took to get his heart beating again. When the doctor I pulled to the side came out, he told me that his heart was back to a steady beat and that once everyone cleared out that I could go back in there. I had simply nodded.

So now I am sitting back in my usual seat that I was in earlier, still questioning what those feeling were. Was it because I was going to lose another person or was it feelings?

Please don't be the latter one. I thought to myself.

I don't have enough energy in my in my life for those kinds of feelings.

You don't have feelings for him.

I repeated this over and over again 'till I had convinced myself that those feelings were just because I thought I lost another person, I don't know what I would do if I had lost hi-

Stop thinking like that! I scold myself.

I begin to repeat my chant again. But before I have reconvinced myself, Chance begins to move around in the hospital bed. He hisses in pain. Then his eyes begin to slowly open, he looks around the room. When he sees me his eyes widen a bit.

"What're you doing here?" he asks me in a scratchy voice.

"Do you remember that we were on the phone before the wreck?" I ask him. HIs face shows confusion but then his look upset and guilty.

"Yeah, I had forgotten to bring you home..." He says.

"Yeah. Well I was on the phone when the wreck happened. I had Aaliyah drive me to the school until we saw where the wreck had happened." I informed him.

"I got out of the car and went to you. I tried to get you out of the car but I couldn't get you out. So I made sure you had a pulse and were breathing. You were. Then I saw the other car." I said pausing to take a breath. "The driver was a mother. She's okay don't worry," I said when his face changed to a upset look.

"She was breathing and had a pulse. I saw that the windshield was broken. I looked in the back of the truck. There was a booster seat but no one was in the booster seat. I looked around and saw a little girl. She wasn't breathing. She was dead." The look of regret and sadness on his face is something I am unable to describe.

" I had been a lifeguard a while ago so I knew how to do CPR. I did CPR on her and I revived her." His face filled with relief.

"Earlier I had visited them, they are both alive and doing well. They should be released within this next week." I told him.

"What've I done?. Do you happen to know their names?" he asks.

"Yeah they're Cindy and Anika White." I tell him, his face fills with sadness again.

"I knew their car looked familar..." He said to himself.