Chapter 9: I Need You Back

"What do you mean the car looked familiar?" I questioned him.

"Erm, nothing... it's not important." He replies deflecting the question.

"Chance, do you know them or something?" I ask.

"I said it doesn't matter so just leave it alone. I'm tired and in pain, I don't feel like explaining it. Okay?" He says his voice cracking in between a few words.

"Yeah... I understand. I didn't tell them who you were but I can leave if you want." I told him standing up.

"No, no. You can stay if you want. I'm just not ready to tell you yet. When the time comes I will. I promise." He says sincerely.

"Pinky promise?" I ask stinking out my pinky.

"Yes, pinky promise" He laughs sticking his pinky finger out. I walk over and intertwine our pinkies.

"You can't go back on a pinky promise, you know that right?" I ask.

"I do now..." He says after a few moments of silence he looks into my eyes with gratitude.

"Thank you Ellie. I mean for coming to the wreck, I know with everything that's been going on with Misty and all that everything has been rough. I appreciate that you came even though you were having a girls night with Aaliyah. I mean I know we just met a couple of weeks ago and all but there is something about you. I can't explain it. But I feel that it wasn't just a coincidence that we met. That sounds crazy, doesn't it. I'm crazy aren't I? Whatever, forget about what I said before. But thank you, I am being sincere about this, I don'te know if I would be here had you not been here for me." He thanks. Instead of words to respond, I lean down and kiss him on the forehead and then gently give him a hug. He doesn't hesitate to hug me back.

"I feel the same way." I tell him. He's about to say something else but is interrupted by a phone ringing. Its mine.

"Go ahead and take it, I'm actually getting a little hungry so i'm going to call in the nurse to bring me in some of that delicious hospital caf food." He rolls his eyes.

"Thank you." I say as I answer the phone.

"Hello?"I say into the phone.

"Heyyy girl, how are you?" A familiar voice says.

"Hey Bo," I say. "I'm fine. Do you need something?" I say harshly, remembering to be mad at him.

"Listen, I need my bestfriend back. I'm sorry, I mean it. It took me a while to notice but I know now that I should've called or something. I was being a guy." He says, I can hear the shudder in his voice. "Gawd, these last few weeks have been awful without you! I haven't had anyone to tell all the gossip I've heard!" I laugh at his anxious tone. "Where are you? We need to grab a coffee or something."

"You're so pathetic. I'm at the hospital." I tell him.

"What! What happened! Are you okay?!" He yells through the phone.

"No, it's not me."I hear him let out a relieved sigh. "You know how I left you at the stairs weeks ago?" I ask

"Yeah."

"Well, as I was leaving the coffee shop from waiting on you I ran into a guy named Chance, ended up spilling coffee all over myself. He bought me another one. He was new to the town and was going to go to our school. I offered to show him around. That's why I left, he had made it to the school and I was going to show him around the school. Ended up going to the coffee shop. But that's another story. Annnyways, I was hanging with Aaliyah and he called. He got into a wreck. I've been here since about 6 yesterday evening." I tell him.