Chapter 2

Like every stereotypical parent, my mother decided to drop me off at school on the first day. I put together a nice but very telling outfit, like a white shirt with black sweatpants and black vans, to make a good first impression with the kids because I didn't get to go out during the first week, other than the post office and the supermarket. I had no idea what suburban Hawkins kids were like so I can't just walk into the school like I owned it. I hid my folder in my bag and look fearfully into the huge group of teenagers. Its the first time on my own in Hawkins in 9 years and last time it didn't go well. 

"You'll be fine," my mother said, encouragingly, causing me to stop to train of thought in my mind.

"Yah, I'll be just fine", I said nervously.

I bent down to pick up my skates on the floor of the car and headed out into the hell that is school.

I didn't have a locker yet so I had to carry my skates to homeroom. I looked at the application form and tried to find the room while pushing my way through the crowd of students. I was averaged height so I didn't have that much of a problem navigating the school. While I was looking around, I quickly scanned each person's mind, which really didn't take a lot of strength to do.

I finally found the classroom located on other side of the hallway, failing to find anyone and walked in and sat at the back. The class was fairly empty and it was still a good ten minutes before homeroom was supposed to start. I bent down to take out the folder from my backpack when a group of six teens, four guys and two girls, walked in. I scanned each of their mind but when I got to the last girl, my head began to ache. It shocked through my head and it was a pain I had never experienced. I immediately cut off connections with her and flopped my head down on the desk. The blood from my nose had just missed my folder, thank God, and I quickly wiped it off.

The group sat about two seats in front of me and started whispering to one another, while one or two at a time turned back and looked at me. If they are trying to talk about me, then they are terrible liars.

I try to read their mind from the back of their heads. The boy with curly hair and a cap thinks that I was a new student. The boy with longer slightly curly hair, and kind of looks like a frog, has never seen me in Hawkins before. The red head girl and the African American boy agrees. I look back into the boy with the frog face's head again and him holding a hand connected to a wrist with the tattoo 011 on it. It had a similar font to the one on my wrist. But that goes against my theory of the Lab on my kidnapping 10 kids. Maybe I missed out something. I went out of his head to see the group of kids staring at me, and the girl with longer black hair glared at me. I tried to look back into her head but my head started to hurt again. I was able to disguise the pain better this time and just turned away as calmly as possible.

As I turned away, this girl comes up my table and sits beside me.

"Dude, you skate?", the girl said, looking at my skates.

"Yah," I reply.

This African American girl with dreadlocks nods in approval.

"Can you only roller blades or you can skate board too?," she asked.

"I can do both," I told her.

"Okay Asian girl," she said again and nodded.

She had this very cool slang to her voice.

"I am Denise, by the way," I introduced myself.

"Oh sorry, I am Jordan," she said, sticking out her hand to invited me to shake.