Chapter 24

I was at my locker, ready to get out of school when Dustin ran toward me in the hallways. Even since I eavesdropped on the party in the cafeteria, I have not really talked to Dustin. Not even before history starts.

"Hey Denise," he said, rather urgently.

"Why are you talking to me and what do you want?", I asked, pretending to organise my locker instead of looking at him.

"The Mind Flayer. We failed. We accidentally opened the gate again and Eleven can't close it," he said, speaking quickly.

"Why are you telling me this? You didn't want me in your stupid plans anyway," I said, slamming my locker shut and picking up my rollerblades.

"Well, we thought you can help us close it or stop the Mind Flayer from coming through," he said.

"Nice try. Maybe you should have asked me a few months ago, when I cared about this shit," I said angrily, walking away and trying to ignore him.

"But, if this carries on then it will affect the entire town of Hawkins," he said.

"Good, then I'll be in New York and away from the mess you've made," I said, walking out the door.

"Wait, you're going back?" he stopped in his tracks.

"Yes, I hope you're glad," I said as I sat down on the bench to put on my rollerblades.

"Why?"

"I only came back to Hawkins to find out about what happened to me when I was a child. I think I have done enough research and there is no longer any reason to stay. Plus, you've given me an even better reason to leave," I explained.

"And you're not coming back?"

"There's no reason to come back," I stood up.

"When are you leaving?"

"In summer."

"Oh, okay," he said and turned away, walking in the other direction.

I rolled my eyes and skated back home. I haven't told my mother that I wanted to go back, nor have I told Jordan and the clique but I am pretty sure they were used to seeing their members come and go like that.

I mean, there was really no reason to stay in Hawkins any longer. The Hawkins Labs research is going nowhere, the kids don't want me in their group and they opened a portal to another dimension that is filled with dangerous creatures and a mind controlling shadow monster. It was better for me to flee than to remain here for another 4 years.

I planned on telling my mother that we were leaving once school was over so I could leave in time to reach home and spend some time there before going back to school. But I've been secretly packing up my stuff, throwing out some unnecessary stuff and organising the stuff I was bringing back.

I went back home and sat on my bed.

"You're pretty selfish," a voice said.

I sat up and looked around my room.

"Who's there?", I said.

"Wow, really? You just put up a tough front but inside, you're such a coward," the voice said.

I recognised the voice.

"Eleven? Seriously?", I raised my voice.

"I am surprised you're surprised. After what you said about me at the table," she said, with some sarcasm in her voice.

"No seriously? You can telepath so you use it to talk shit about me?", I said.

"You don't have to talk out loud for me to heard you."