Chapter 52

The doors open and the first row of people walked in. Then, we followed. Luckily, there weren't any demodogs or creatures out but as we got nearer, the people started shooting. We stopped in our tracks until they signaled that the coast was clear. We quickly made our way to the room with the gate and it was not what I expected it to be.

It was like a huge black hole, except that it was not sucking things in. The room felt cold and there were black vines surrounding the entrance of a portal, which I guess was the gate. I couldn't see much past the gate, as it was blocked by some gooey black stuff and a beam of light that would be blinding if it weren't for the black stuff. The gate expanded from the floor to the ceiling and black vines covered almost the rest of the room. I was distracted at first by the size of the portal until Sabrina took my hand.

Then I heard gun fire and saw something running around. It was difficult to catch as it was black and about the size of a dog, it was quick too. Wait, demodogs. It was a demodog.

"Guys focus!", Eleven shouted.

It was quite difficult to focus, considering what was happening around us. The others were pretty distracted too. We haven't even formed the circle yet. I quickly grabbed Kali's hand.

I shouted as loudly as I could, "Form the circle quickly!"

The others snapped back and quickly grabbed the hand of the person closest to them. Just then, something came out of the portal. I turned around to see what it was but Eleven shouted again.

"We don't have much time, focus. I need the energy right now!"

I just nodded. I concentrated on my powers and closed my eyes to block everything else out. The gunfire, the screaming and shouting from the others, the cold, the demodogs. I felt the power getting stronger and the energy running more quickly though my hands. I continued to concentrate, not opening my eyes.

-

Eleven's POV

I saw that thing come out of the gate again. The tentacle like thing. Was it the Mind Flayer? No idea. But it was the thing that reopened the gate, I think. I didn't feel any energy. I looked down at the others, they were too distracted. The noises of gunfire, the demodogs running around, the cold. It was not helping.

"We don't have much time, focus. I need the energy right now!", I shouted once more to get their attention.

They all turned back and nodded. We should have brought the blindfolds. It would have helped a lot. But then, I felt a small surge of energy. I looked at them again, Denise and Kali had their eyes closed. Then, the others looked at them and followed. As they all started to finally concentrate I felt the power getting stronger. The energy flowed to me and I started to levitate like the last time, except this time, I've gotten used to it and have control of it.

I looked at straight at the being and put my hands out toward the portal. The energy surged through my fingers and I felt the warmness of energy. There was that similar feeling, from when I blasted that stone to smithereens. The tentacle extended towards me the same way it did the last time. I looked at it, and remembered everything that had brought me to this moment. Denise stumbling into Hawkins, Dr Brenner coming back to redeem himself, my Dad setting up the camp, my first failed attempt, the other numbers coming back to Hawkins. I couldn't fail this.

I felt a huge surge of energy connect to my fingertips. It was so much power. The tentacle was at most a foot away from my face. With a shout, I fired the energy at it, pushing it back into the portal. Then, I remembered, I had to destroy the Mind Flayer not push it back into the Upside Down. I felt the numbers giving me another big surge of energy. I felt it course through my body and collect at my hands. I fired at it once again, not to push it back into the portal, but to try to destroy it.