Chapter 21

Spring break was just around the corner. Jordan, Leah and the clique were planning to have a pool party some time at Ross's house and Jordan was talking about trekking at a nearby forest. Basically, we were all super excited.

I sat my usual place at the table, on the left side in between Jordan and Gabriel.

"Hey Denise!", Jordan said, and the rest of them turned to me.

"Hey, what are y'all talking about?"

"We were all thinking about going on a skateboarding trip. We may be going out of Hawkins towards the mountains, but we aren't going to climb the mountain, just camp at the foot," Jordan said.

"Sounds fun," I said.

"Spring break is going to be so fun!", Leah shouted.

We all laughed and continued eating our lunch. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot the party sitting at their usual table on the other side of the cafeteria. They looked so serious about something. Probably planning some game night for spring break. After a while, I had to use the bathroom and I told my friends I had to go.

I went out by the back door and used the bathroom. Then, came back by the other side. I was about to open the door when I heard Mike's and Lucas's voice on the other side.

"El can use her powers like the last time we did it," Mike said.

"But that didn't do much. The mind flayer was still alive after she closed it he last time," Dustin argued.

"We aren't killing it, just closing it temporarily until we know how to kill it," Lucas said.

"What if something goes wrong? What if my powers go haywire and I accidentally do something to the gate?", Eleven said.

"Well, that's why we are going to borrow the bows and arrows from Denise," Lucas said.

"But what if she finds out?", Max asked.

"We always have the sheriff. He definitely has excess to weapons," Lucas said.

"Will, how's the mind flayer doing?", Mike asked.

Will didn't answer for a few seconds. Then, I heard him say.

"There's a small opening in the middle school, but not enough for the mind flayer to get demodogs through," he said.

Wait. Will lied to me. Actually, they all did. Was Dustin used as a pawn to get me to stay quiet so I wouldn't get suspicious? Eleven too. She betrayed me.

"Why don't we include Denise? She can be of great help," Dustin suggested.

"No Dustin, I know you really like her but we can't. She's too nosy," Mike explained.

"Remember the last time we told her stuff? She went after Hopper and got all caught up in our business," Lucas continued.

"Also, she's too bossy. I'm afraid she'll try to mess up our plans, with her own plans to use the other children," Mike said.

"That's true," Lucas said.

"And I don't know if we can trust her. Sure she is a kid from Hawkins Lab but I fear that she will get her friends involved. Plus, she doesnt sit with us at lunch so why should we trust her?"

I looked through the small glass pane and saw everyone nodding and agreeing to Mike. Even Dustin.

"Alright, we'll stick to the plan," Dustin said (reluctantly).

I got so mad. That was it. I pushed my way through the doors of the cafeteria and the party saw me.

"Goddamnit Mike I told you we shouldn't have talked about it here," Lucas whispered.