Chapter 35

2 o'clock. I almost slept waiting in the chair. I should be okay now. I pushed myself up from the chair. After not being on my feet for so long, I lost balance. Kali rushed up to me and caught me. She supported me by wrapping her arm around my shoulder.

"What are you doing? Sit down," she said.

"I want to try walking. It's one hour to 3," I said.

"Fine."

Once I got my balance back, Kali slowly let go of my shoulder. I held onto her shoulder as I tried taking my first step. I moved my right foot forward, balanced on that foot then brought my left leg forward. Soon, my body got used to walking again. I could walk, but I'm not going to try running just yet.

The barracks were almost done. But they were having trouble with the television. Kali didn't know how to work the television and Joyce always got Jonathon to help her at home.

"Let me handle this," I said.

I knew how to fix the TV, since I moved houses a whole lot, even in New York, we shifted houses at least 3 times, but it was around the same neighbourhood. My Dad taught me how to do it and I helped my mom fix the TV a few times. I plugged it into the socket, then plugged the VHS player in. I slapped the side a few times, then moved the antennae, slapped it a few more times, then tried changing channels. After a few minutes, I got it to work.

"There," I said, once the screen finally lit up with soap commercials.

I adjusted the sounds to make sure it was loud enough. Then turned off the TV.

Max and Lucas came up behind me and threw some beanbags in front of the television. Dustin and Mike were moving a couch in to one part of the room. And Eleven was hanging some artwork on the wall. They turned the dull, old, dusty barracks into a homey, comfortable one. It kind of looked like my room at the other block, except that this was bigger and had more beds. But this barrack only had 10 beds.

"Jonathan, Nancy and Steve are doing the other block of barracks, maybe we should go help them," Will said.

They all nodded and left to go to the next block. I was going to follow them but Kali told me to get back in the chair.

"I don't need it anymore," I told her.

"You don't know that", she told me.

I looked at my watch, 15 minutes to 3. The block I needed to get to was on the other side of the camp. I grumbled and got back in the chair.

"Kali, I need to go back to the barracks," I told her.

"The one with our room?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Okay," she sighed.

She told Joyce that she had to go with me and then she wheeled me back to our barracks.

When we reached the building. Dr Brenner and Hopper were there.

"You're pretty early," Hopper said.

"Well, we were done with cleaning up the barracks on the other side of camp," I said.

"Where are the others?"

"Helping Jonathan, Nancy and Steve."

I got out of the wheelchair. I felt my muscles slowly go back to normal. I stood up and jumped around for a bit. Then, stretched a little. I forgot that Dr Brenner, Hopper and Kali were watching me.

"Sorry, I'm just excited", I said.

They kept quiet at first.

"I'm going to go clean our room," Kali said, walking away.