Chapter 3

It's finally the end of the first week and I am already exhausted. They already loaded me with a lot of homework for the weekend, but I had other plans. I took my skates out from my locker and slammed it shut, to reveal Dustin standing behind the door.

"What do you want?", I asked.

"You wanna hang out during the weekend?", he asked.

"I actually have plans this week, but if you want we can try next week," I told him, just to give him an answer.

He nods and says, "See you on Monday," before turning the other way and walking back into the crowd of students.

Other than Jordan and her friends, Dustin is the only other person I talk to in school. That's because I am stuck with him in History class while the rest of his clique goes to another class. Though there are other people from our homeroom in the class, he decided to sit with me in class. I am not going to lie, he is kind of cute but he is really nerdy. Sometimes, I look into his brain on accident and it's just a mess of science facts up there.

But I did not turn down the hang out because I didn't want to hang out with him, I actually have plans. Later today, I decided to go to the library to find old or recent articles on Hawkins and what happened to the Lab.

I skated up to the local library and quickly walked it. I asked the librarian for recent articles on the Hawkins Lab and any articles from 1972-1974 about missing children. She looked at me weirdly, but still gave me what I needed. A few minutes later, she returned with a number of newspapers and some fresh copies of a few articles on the Hawkins Lab.

"There is a huge amount of missing children from 1972-1974 so I couldn't print them," she said bluntly before walking away.

I shrugged and took what she gave me. I had the missing children articles anyway, I didn't need them. I read a few recent articles in the library for a few minutes until I heard someone loudly arguing with the librarian.

I turned around as I was unable to focus and saw a familiar person at the counter.

"Listen, like I told you before. I need my paddles," Dustin repeated, while softly hitting the counter with each syllable.

"Mr Henderson, only 5 books at a time, you are literally holding 10 and you still need to return your other 5 from home," the librarian scolded.

Dustin gave up and looked around and saw me. I quickly looked away and pretended not to see him but he took his stack of books and brought them to my table, giving 5 books to me.

"What the heck, Dustin?", I half shouted.

"There, 5, 5."

"No, you still are holding on to another five books at home," she said.

"Fine, I will return the other five tomorrow, and if I don't you can charge me for them," Dustin said.

"Fine," the librarian sighed.

She made me write down my name for Dustin's books. And then forced us to leave.

I picked up my articles and the five books Dustin gave to me and left with him.

When we left the building, I yelled at him, "What the hell was that for?"

"Sorry, I just needed more books for research."

"Research on..." I looked down at the title of the first book in the stack.

"Reptiles and amphibians?"

I raise the stack slightly higher to see the next few book titles.

"Astronomy?"

"Theories on alternate dimensions?"