Chapter 13

Saturday came around and Dustin brought Steve to my house.

"Denise, this is Steve," he introduced.

"Hey," he greeted, sticking out his hand to shake. I took his hand and shook it.

"Okay, where are the knives?", he said, putting his hands on his hips.

I showed him my backyard and the target and stuff.

"Is this what the kids do these day?", he asked, picking up one of the knives.

The others came together in a group.

"Hey Steve," Mike said, and the others followed.

"Hey kids," he responded.

Why is he acting like a 40 year old mom when he is a high school senior?

"Hey Denise," Eleven says.

Max and Lucas go up to the targets and pick up the bow and arrow.

"Woah woah woah," Steve shouts.

"Don't worry, they've done this all before," I tell him.

He watches as Max and Lucas both hit bullseyes on their first arrow.

"They're pretty good," Steve said.

Dustin and Mike are getting better, though they are still pretty terrible in my opinion. Will sat at the table again, and watched Mike, I mean the others. I took the chance to teach Steve how to shoot an arrow and throw a knife. Honestly, he did the best for his first time. Probably because he was the most physical fit out of everyone.

Steve is actually really nice for a high school senior. He was not condescending in anyway and I like that about him. I have always been sceptical of adults and the way that they liked to control young people like me. I think that was because of Hawkins Lab.

After receiving my memory, I began to see how corrupted the place was. The adults would control us like puppets on a string. We were forced to obey them. I tried not to show any signs of rebellion as I did not want them to be suspicious of me, though deep inside, I so wanted to. They controlled what we ate, dress and do; when we sleep, play and eat. We basically didn't have any freedom. After I escaped, the only adults I trusted were my parents, and eventually my coaches. But even then, I didn't trust them enough to tell them I have telepathic powers.

Almost every adult I meet now, I consider a threat. I was always paranoid around them, in case they were scientists undercover to kidnap me. I think moving back to Hawkins made it worse.

Once I trusted Steve enough to throw knives on his own. I went over to Eleven who was taking a break.

"Did you tell them about the Hawkins Lab incident?", I asked, sitting beside her.

"No, not yet," she said. She was staring at Mike as always.

"Wanna wait until they all take a break?", I ask.

"Sure," she said.

She took another sip of water before asking me.

"What did you do to my Dad?"

"I didn't do anything," I lied.

"Really? He hasn't been smoking for a few days, and some of his cigarette boxes are in the bin," she told me.

"Oh," I replied.

"What did you do to him?", she said, more firmly.

"Well," I started

"He was about to take a smoke while I was in the room with him. I can't stand smoking so I controlled his mind and told him to stop smoking," I confessed.