Chapter 7

How could a woman so small be so intimidating? My mother stood at a whooping 5'1, I know, it sounds lame but my mother really was intimidating. She reminded me of a lioness; beautiful, loving, nurturing, a strong mother, but would pounce and secure the kill when needed. I felt like a helpless gazelle being lead to my death as I walked up the steps. I knew she wouldn't kill me but I knew I was going to get the 3rd degree for sneaking around her house.

I went to the dining room taking a seat bringing my 5'6 stature down to her size, my mother stood in front of me with a cocked brow and her hands on her hips. Here it comes,

"So you came by and weren't going to say anything to me?" she said and I tried not to roll my eyes,

"I wasn't"

"So you were just sneaking around becauseee?" she trailed off,

"Because I honestly thought you were sleeping" I smiled awkwardly, I don't know who I was trying to fool, my mother could spot a lie from a mile away, I swear the police should hire her to replace the lie detector machine. I wanted to tell my mother right now I didn't have a job but I couldn't. my mother worked all her life to support Janae and I. I mean her entire life, through bad treatment, through being accused of stealing, getting fired, making cakes and selling, it was all for us. When Janae and I started working we took the responsibility of giving back, even though she protested for years, she finally gave in. We paid the bills and kept everything running, every month I put a cheque in my mother's hand for her.

I wasn't going to make her worry about anything, I just needed to get my act together, get a job, my mother depends on me, I got paid more, I was paid enough to pay for everything and still have enough remaining to invest and put on the bank.

"You know I know you're lying?" she asked sassily. She shook her head disappointedly going over to the fridge to get some drink, "Why aren't you at work?" she asked and I almost swallowed my tongue. If I lied she was going to know, and I wasn't ready for the truth, she came back to me placing a glass of lemonade in front of me,

"I came over to take Lucy and Tea to the beach but Randy called and now I have to go to work" I said taking a sip, it wasn't all a lie.

"Oh good Lord he cant give you a break?" she huffed, and I laughed,

"You know how he is, he cant do anything without me" I smiled and she looked into my eyes,

"Are you okay? I know you've been working hard but are you taking care of yourself?" she asked, she probably noticed the deception floating in my eyes as I tried not to give it all away,

"Yea I'm totally fine, everything is peachy just tired" I lied again,

"Are you good" she paused, "Yuh know sexually?"

"Oh come on mum" I huffed standing throwing my hands up, I couldn't come here without her asking if my sexual needs were being taken care of, yes they were, I take the machine for a spin cycle every few weeks,

"Relax Nylah, sexual health is important too not just working hard" she reasoned nodding at me,

"I'm not having this converstation" I said walking away, going to the door,

"Wait!" she followed and I stopped turning to face her, "I want to keep a party here in 2 months, and I invited this young man from my church Adam, he's a really nice and I think-"

"No mum! I don't need you to set me up if I wanted a man I could've gotten one" I said shoving my feet in my flip flops, as I lied to myself. I knew damn well I couldn't get one, it was sad,

"I'm not setting you up, I just want you to meet him, you might like him"

"No, I won't trust me"

"Nylah, you're gonna listen to me. I just want what's best for you" she said giving me a gentle look,

"If you wanted whats best you would let me do my own thing" I replied and she cupped my cheek,

"You've been doing your own thing for years baby, just give it a chance" she whispered, lovingly, I really hated when she tried to set me up with guys from her church. No offense to them but they didn't have the intelligence to even hold a conversation. Adam would be guy number 7 and can I just say I was tired of it.

"Fine, I'll come but pleaseeeee promise me if this doesn't work you'll stop?"

"I promise!" she shouted giving me a hug,

"Well I gotta head to work now, I love you" I hugged her back, my mother really was a sweetheart, but if I didn't find a job by her party I was going to tell her. I sighed as I drove away, I had 2 months to find a job. It couldn't be that hard, and I had enough money on the bank that I could continue living like normal for years. It is going to be fine I thought pulling onto the highway. When I got home I was so happy to see my bathtub spotless. I needed a good soak, so I could relax after the day I had, first the car, then Yvonne and now my mum, this day didn't go how I planned at all.

I dropped my favorite bath bomb in the water and watched it as it engulfed the room in light vanilla. I climbed in closing my eyes, I didn't doubt I could find a job in that time, I knew I could, there wasn't anything I couldn't do when I put my mind to it.