Chapter 8

The beginning of my job hunt was one of opportunity, great tales and total and complete failure. I was sprawled across my couch, I couldn't even make it to the bedroom. The first two weeks of my hut were so disheartening I actually felt like crying. I wanted to throw a fit and toss everything up in the air. This is harder than I thought I sighed looking at my swollen ankles. My shoes were kicked off my shirt was untucked and my dreams were crushed. It started out so lovely, it went into this hunt like a playful puppy, ready to show these employers the force to be reconded with which was Nylah Bennett. Unfortunately I was chewed up and spat out like I was trying to get my first job. It started with searching the newspaper, which was awful. Nothing appealed to me, and the jobs didn't pay enough. Delivery guy, secretary, baby sitter, they weren't me, and I know I might sound a bit picky but I've had my fair share of those jobs. When I was in secondary school, I was a babysitter, dog walker, car washer who sold pasteries on the side with my mother.

I was a hustler, I worked so hard while I was working hard at school but all that work I did then clearly wasn't paying off now. The first week I went company to company with printed résumés, a smile, and determination in my steps. I presented myself as the strong independent woman with the perfect peoples' skills and work ethic and I got "We aren't hiring", and "You're overqualified for the job". So I hauled my ass out of their establishments, it actually felt a little defeated but I knew I could do it. I made some calls that week too so I could a few interviews this week. On Monday I had an IT assistant interview. I was so excited I stayed up the entire night looking for the perfect outfit, something that said modest, mature, and responsible. I decided on my dark blue suit with a white shirt tucked into my skirt, it wasn't sexy but it was so professional. By the time I was finished, I glanced over at the clock which read 12 am, I literally had 8 hours. I hopped in my bed quickly trying to force myself to sleep but the more I forced the more I stayed awake. I got to sleep around 3, when I got up I felt like there was sand in my eyes. I was never so tired in my entire life.

I rushed and got ready for the interview, I wanted to iron my skirt so it would be extra crisp, but I burned the bottom because I went to answer the phone and left the iron on it,

"No no no no no" I panicked as I ran back to he bedroom grabbing it from on the skirt, it was a little burnt but it wasn't noticeable because of how dark the skirt was. When I finally got on the road the track was horrendous,

"Just my luck" I hissed as I slammed my fists against the steering wheel, I could see there was no way I was getting to the interview early. Strike one in the interviewer's eyes; she's tardy. I cursed angrily as the traffic crept towards the intersection, I was so far from getting through the green light so I turned up my music to try to relax.

If you ain't here to party take your ass back home
If you getting naughty, baby here's my phone
Slide with your boy to the bar
Slide with your boy to the car
I've been searching everywhere and now here you are

Bruno Mar's 'Chunky' played and I bobbed my head as I got closer to the light, it was 7:45, I had 15 minutes. The music kept my mind from the time. I was almost past the intersection, I approached with a broad grin, I was so close. I accelerated, the light changed to amber, I could've made it, but the driver in front of me slowed. I blared my horn throwing my hands off wildly. Did I mention I get road rage? The light changed to red and he stopped forcing me to stop also,

"WHAT THE HELL! YOU CAN'T DRIVE!" I screamed with my head out the window with my hand firmly on the horn. I continued cursing for a hot minute before the light changed again, this time I got through. When I pulled up next to his car I flipped him the bird,

"ASSHOLE!" I screamed before speeding off. It took me 5 minutes to arrive, with 2 minutes to spare. I parked my car badly but I didn't have time to make it perfect. I grabbed my bag and tossed it over my shoulder while I chipped over to the building. I took a deep breath before I stepped through the door with my head held high,

"Good morning" I spoke sweetly and the receptionist turned her eyes up to me giving me a pleasant smile,

"Hello, good morning how may I help?"

"Nylah Bennett, here for an interview with Mr. Edwards" I replied with a charming smile. Always be nice to the staff, employers always ask them if they liked you, the young lady smiled brightly and I knew she liked me,

"Oh Miss Bennett, Mr. Edwards is running a little late but you can have a seat" she pointed to the plush chairs which were lined up against the wall. I nodded politely and took a seat. I sat proudly greeting everyone who passed. My phone wasn't in sight, employers usually watched you for a few minutes to see what type of person you were. I felt like I had this interview in the bag, but God was playing with my emotions. As I sat there thinking about how I would bring donuts for everyone on my first day he walked through the door. A plump man who was about 6 feet with seamless clothing stepped through the door. The receptionist said something to him before he looked my direction. I wanted the floor to open and swallow me, I wanted the ceiling to fall on me, I really just wanted to disappear.

It was the asshole. His face twisted into a bitter grimace and I saw the anger on his face. I swear I saw steam come out of his ears. I felt my body go numb as he glared at me. He went into his office, for a few minutes before I returned. I thought of all the apologies I could come up with but all sounded silly.

As I walked into his office and took a seat I knew this was going to be awful.