New Home

I packed up my clothes and took some alcohol and coffee as well before leaving. A thought in the back of my mind popped up telling me to stay there and wait for Lily to come home so that I could question her. The thought enticed me, but if I did do that then my heart would most likely not be able to take it and I would probably break down right in front of her. Maddie stayed with me the whole time, wishing to comfort me and keep herself away from home. Even though she had her own reasons for sticking with me as well, it's the thought that counts.

The only problem with leaving the bar was the fact that I had no where else to go. By now, my old house would be already back up on the market and I certainly can't go to Chris's apartment because, well, that's obvious. I only had about $100 from helping Lily out around the bar and after spending money at that restaurant earlier, so maybe we could move into a small and cheap apartment just until I get a job and make some more money.

"How much money do you have on you?" I questioned Maddie. She pulled out her wallet and sighed heavily before handing me a $50 bill.

"That's all I have right now..." She mumbled. I put the money together and grabbed Maddie's hand to pull her outside the bar so that we could leave again.

"That's fine. We at least have enough for a week maybe." I replied, starting the car back up. We drove around the city again to find a, hopefully, cheaper apartment to stay in. If I remember correctly, Chris told me her's was about $500 a month, so we can probably pay $142 for two weeks and then go on from there. I've only been there once, but the apartments are on the bigger side, and the only problem was that they were located by the worst part of the city. It's not that there's a high rate of crime, but it's not really rare to see fights going on over there.

When we reached the buildings, Maddie and I went into the landlady's office to speak to them. A middle aged woman was sat in front of a computer directly across from the door we entered.

"Hello, ladies. How can I help you?" She asked us, gesturing to two seats in front of her. Maddie and I sat down and presented the woman with the $150 and began to speak.

"Hi, we were wondering if we could rent an apartment? This is all we have right now, but we will both be getting a job soon so that we can pay to stay for however long we need. She stared at the small wad of cash before smiling slightly.

"Let's see what you have here..." She remarked, taking the money from us to count. "You have $150 here, so you're good for a month!" She exclaimed. Maddie leaned towards me and whispered.

"I thought we would only be good for two weeks?" She asked. I nodded in confusion and turned back to the landlady.

"I thought it was $500 for a full month?" I asked. She waved her finger at me and then pointed to a sign that was above the front door.

"New tenants only need to pay $150 for the first month. I'm trying a new promotional program to attract more people, but so far you two are the only one's who have been attracted." She sighed. Maddie and I looked at each other in disbelief but smiled and turned back to the lady to think her. "Well, just sign here and I give you two the keys to apartment 34C. That's on the third floor, and the previous owners left behind a few items, so you can decide if you want to keep then or toss the stuff out. We both nodded and signed the contract before exiting and heading towards the apartment elevators.

"The only problem is that we have no money now..." Maddie wept, pressing the button for the third floor. I pulled out my phone to see if anything new had came up, but sadly there was nothing.

"She's probably at his house right now..." I muttered, peering at my phone with a clenched jaw. Maddie dropped her head onto my shoulder and closed her eyes before chuckling slightly.

"Ivy, just remember that I'm here for you, ok? By the way, I'm... really sorry for everything I did... If I didn't tell Chris that you liked her, then you two would have surly became a couple..." I shook my head and then placed mine atop hers.

"It's fine. I honestly don't even care about that anymore. It wouldn't have even been a good relationship anyways..." I whispered, "I'm sorry about you and Olivia. You two were... a cute couple." Maddie lifted her head off of my shoulder and stepped back a few steps while biting her lip nervously.

"I didn't like her all that much like I let on," Maddie admitted, "it's not like it had anything to do with her being a guy, but I just never felt that connection, you know?" I nodded understandingly.

"I get that. I don't think I was that serious with Lily either, but I just wanted it to last however long it could. We're both going to college next year, so I guess now we better focus on school rather than finding a new girlfriend or whatever." Maddie snorted and crossed her arms.

"School. Yeah. Sure. Just so you know, I barely passed junior year, so that's funny!" The door opened to the third floor and we both left and headed towards our new "home" so to say. Maddie unlocked the door while I held onto my clothes and alcohol in a small suitcase, and once we stepped in we both immediately noticed a pile of trash and furniture scattered throughout the apartment. From the shock, I dropped my suitcase and sighed heavily, covering my face with my hands.

"Oh my God... Let's get cleaning... I guess..." I picked the suitcase back up and stepped into the main room to put it down on a table that had been left there.

"Well, the landlady wasn't wrong about the furniture, but she could've warned us about the mess." I nodded in agreement, picking up scattered papers and trash. It took us a while, but finally we cleaned the place up and put the furniture back where they belonged.

"Well, it looks like all we need to get is maybe an air mattress and a small TV. The people who lived here before us seemed to leave in a hurry, I mean they left a sofa, chairs, a microwave, and even a mini fridge!... Something seems off, but I'm not really going to complain since we don't have to buy much more." I said, sitting down on the sofa. Maddie came over and sat down next to me and reached for my hand to hold.

"Thanks, Ivy. You don't know how much this means to me." She smiled.

"Well, it's not like we have a place to stay anymore, and I would be too lonely to stay here without anyone else. I'm glad that it's you who's here with me." She chuckled lightly and stared into my eyes as if she was waiting for something. I squeezed her hand lightly and shook my head, telling her that I just got out of a relationship and I wasn't ready for another one yet.

"It's fine, I understand. Just make sure you don't forget about me. I will always be here for you, after all you did get me out of that hell." She hummed, getting back up from the sofa before leaning in towards me while I was still sitting on the sofa. Maddie acted as if she didn't understand what I had just said and pecked me on the cheek before scurrying into the bedroom down the hall...