CHAPTER 3

'Morning Joshua,' Mrs. Shaw smiled warmly. 'I don't know if you can mow the lawn today my boy. I tried the confounded mower. It won't start,' she grumbled.
Josh smiled. He earned pocket money every Saturday, mowing a few of the neighbour's lawn.

'May I take a look at the mower Mrs. Shaw?'

'You can try my boy. I think it's time for a new one,' she determined. Just have to convince Mr. Shaw to part with some money,' she winked.

Josh suspected it just needed gas. Mr. Shaw was absent-minded. He often forgot to fuel the mower. Josh kept a gallon of gas in his father's garage. He would just take a little from there. The Shaw's were retired. He would not charge them for the gas.

'Dominic said to tell you to please check out her computer. Her internet is on the blink again or something. I think she said I should tell you.

'Ms. Shaw's computer?'

'Yeah my boy, just go through to her bedroom.'

Nervously Josh walked to the bedroom. It's one thing walking into your neighbour's bedroom, but it's another thing altogether walking into the bedroom of your math and English teacher. Not to mention she was the prettiest female in Kingman High School where every teenage boy lusted after her.

Josh knew which bedroom was hers. He knocked and waited. No answer.

'Miss Shaw?' He knocked again. Josh opened the door tentatively and walked in. The room was empty. The bed was neatly made up. Everything in Miss Shaw's room was neatly in place. The room was spotlessly clean. He could faintly smell her familiar perfume in the air. It was sweet and strong, yet soft at the same time.

Josh looked at the photograph at her bedside table. He smiled and picked up the photo. It was a picture of Ms. Shaw and Ryan. He remembered when they'd taken that picture. It was a church picnic at the dam. Ryan had caught the biggest fish. Ryan was holding his prized catch. Ms. Shaw had kissed his cheek to congratulate him. Somebody had snapped them.

'Josh,' Ms. Shaw walked into her room and put down her shopping bag. Startled, Josh quickly put the frame down.

'Oh did it fall again?' she laughed. 'I'm always dropping it as well. My internet working again?' she smiled.

'Yes---. It lost the settings. I've reset it.'

'You should probably write it down for me somewhere,' she laughed. 'I feel stupid calling you in here everytime for the same thing.'

'I don't mind.'

'Please tell me you did not look at the exam paper Josh.'

'The question paper is there? Now you tell me!'

Ms. Shaw smiled. 'I trust you Josh. I wouldn't, any of your school mates, but I think Pastor Ralph and your mom has done a thorough job in instilling the right values in you and Shanna.

'Thank you Ms. Shaw. I should go. I have not cut the grass as yet.'

'I'll bring you out a cool drink just now,' she packed her shopping into her cupboard.

'Josh?'

'Yes Ms. Shaw?'

'Are you and Cassandra-Kaz,' she laughed, 'are you two an item?'

'No---why?'

Miss Shaw sat down on her bed. 'Her father is late and her mother--- she is looked after by Social Services, Josh. She needs support, but I tell you all of this in confidence.' Ms. Shaw knew she could rely on Josh's integrity.

Josh wondered about Kaz's mother. 'I'll be supportive without being intrusive,' Josh grinned.

Ms. Shaw nodded. Thank you,' she replied dismissively.