CHAPTER 9

Josh looked at his dad in surprise.  He thought she would just shove them away and close her door.  He never expected Kaz to surrender to his father’s threat.  Josh should have known better, when he looked at his dad, Pastor Ralph’s face was calm, controlled and confident that he was going to walk into Kaz’s lounge.

‘Thank you Kaz,’ Pastor Ralph nodded and strolled in.

Darting eyes that were scathing in Pastor Ralph’s direction, the second father and son were seated, Kaz demanded, ‘what do you want?’

‘Josh is concerned about you Kaz.’

‘I am a big girl.  I can take care of myself,’ she glared at Josh.  The meaning unmistakable, that he should mind his own business.

‘Evidently not,’ Pastor Ralph dared to contradict her. ‘If you are experimenting with narcotics,’ he stated.

‘I am not experimenting,’ Kaz informed her unwanted visitors.  ‘It’s an indulgence,’ she smiled wickedly.  ‘One I have no intention to stop whatsoever.’

‘Eventually they will control your body Kaz,’ Pastor Ralph advised. ‘There will come a stage when your mind will yield to your body’s demands and that is when you will lose all control.’

‘I am in control,’ Kaz slapped her chest.  ‘I don’t need any lectures!’

‘Social Services will have you removed from your guardian’s care with one phone call,’ Pastor Ralph threatened.  Josh groaned silently, and hung his head.  He had hoped his father would not play that card.

‘Look!’ her glacial stare did not move Pastor Ralph one iota.  ‘Stay the hell out of my business.  You want to help?  Go and help the kids at the orphanage I come from.  They need food and medication.  They need help,’ she screamed.  ‘They don’t get ---three meals a day,’ her voice choked, her eyes became moist.  Kaz turned away.  She did not want Josh thinking she was a weakling.  Nobody must think she was weak.  Nobody must dare to take advantage of her again.  She was not weak.  She can fight and fight she will.  

Nobody and nobody will dare hurt me again.  I won’t---.

‘Kaz, it is okay,’ Josh was at her side, his palm gently on her shoulder.

‘Don’t touch me!’ Kaz shrieked.  Stay away from me!’ She shoved Josh away so violently, he went reeling backwards.  Pastor Ralph stood up.  ‘Get out!’ Kaz shrieked, her eyes turning violently ominous. 

‘Kaz?’ Josh pleaded.

‘It’s okay son,’ Pastor Ralph shook his head as he perceptively studied the sudden transformation in Kaz.  ‘We are leaving.’

‘But dad---.’

‘May we pray with you before we leave Kaz?’  Pastor Ralph urged softly.

‘No!  I told you, I don’t need your God and I don’t need your prayers.  Please leave!’  Kaz stood at the opened door and waited for the intruders to leave her flat.

‘Okay Kaz,’ Pastor Ralph politely smiled as he nudged Josh towards the door. 

‘And don’t you dare talk to Social Services about me Preacher Man,’ she warned.  ‘I will come after you.’

Unfazed, Pastor Ralph responded.  ‘You are so young Kaz,’ he spoke gently.  ‘We just want to protect you.’

“‘Protect?”’  She laughed.  ‘Please, tell me another joke.  I heard that one before,’ she hissed angrily.