CHAPTER 12

Kaz circled her bike three hundred and sixty degrees, testing her ability to control it. She lifted her frame and rammed on the starter pedal. Instantly every muscle in her body resisted from the pain it still endured.
You don't know how to go easy...do you?

Wincing from the effort, she pressed on the accelerator and with great difficulty managed to manoeuvre her bike into the traffic. She wobbled twice or thrice before her experienced hands got a steady grip of the handle bars. Kaz smiled with satisfaction when her bike yielded under her skilled fingers.

She rode for another ten minutes and brought her bike to a halt in the parking lot of an all night burger ranch. The smell of sizzling juicy beef burgers made her ravenous stomach rumble. She had not had any dinner last night. Too weak to make herself something to eat and concluding it was too much of an effort to go buy a take-out, Kaz had swallowed some pain killers and painfully climbed into bed. She figured her bruised and battered body needed rest more than it needed nutrition at that particular moment. Kaz had ignored the alcoholic rumblings of her guardian from the lounge, screaming at her to tidy up the flat as it had not been swept for the last week.

Finding a spot between two other bikes, Kaz parked and hopped off her bike. She scanned the area identifying the usual teenagers that frequented the spot. There was loud rap music thumping from one of the open top sports cars. Kaz quickly slid around the back of the outlet. She followed the man-made path that led from the parking lot to a rundown block of flats behind the burger ranch. She wrinkled her nose at the stench from the poorly maintained sewer pipelines and stealthily moved closer towards the building. Luckily the one she needed to get into was on the first floor and she knew she would have no difficulty breaking into it.

She squeezed through the bathroom widow and jumped to the floor. I thought my room was filthy! The bathroom had not been cleaned in years. Filthy clothes were thrown on the floor. There were damps stains on the ceiling. Mildew was caked on the walls and the panes of the shower cubicle. A toothbrush that looked like it belonged in ancient Egypt was resting on the wash basin, along with a nearly empty tube of toothpaste and a rusting razor blade.

Kaz quickly made her way from the bathroom to the only other room with a door and noisily kicked it opened. She winced silently from the effort. The only occupant of the bed speedily lifted himself up and reached under his pillow. Kaz dived forward, lifting her hand behind her back to remove the object she had hidden, under her jacket.

'Not so fast you slovenly pig!' Kaz slammed her golf club on Tristan Payne's wrist. She grimaced from her own pain,  but did not want to let her victim know of her incapacity. Growling, and yelping from the pain, Tristan scurried off the bed and fell to the floor.

'You look revolting with no clothes on!' She managed to ram the golf club again across his bare, skinny backside. She reached under Tristan's pillow and retrieved the revolver she found there. Tristan howled even louder from the onslaught of the second strike.

'Kaz___please. We can talk about this right!' The fear of death reflected in his pathetic eyes as he glared at his own revolver pointed in his face. 'I have money___lots of it in there,' he pointed. Kaz looked up to a broken slab in the ceiling.

'I don't need your money you vile specimen,' she pulled the trigger, it clicked once.

'Please___,' he begged. 'I'll give you anything you want,' he recoiled on the floor against the wall, as Kaz drew closer to him.

'The only reason I came here Tristan, is revenge,' she struck the butt of the revolver against Tristan's face and quickly stepped back. She did not trust him, like the wounded animal he was, he could lash out or jump her for his revolver. She should not have bothered for he slumped back, blood oozing like a fountain from his nose and mouth. Kaz kicked his knee with all her might, his leg twisted and slumped side wards in agonized pain. Tristan screamed like a wild animal from the excruciating pain. Kaz could tell from the growing swelling, his knee was sprained. She smirked menacingly, as she pointed the weapon at him again.