CHAPTER 4

I thought the mantle had passed to Cassandra-Kaz Edwards, Dominic Shaw silently groaned as she sauntered to the front of the class room amidst the relentless wolf whistles, and snide remarks.  She was seemingly being punished, because she was dressed in skinny jeans and heels. The flirting from her senior class was always inexorable.

Wow even one of the so called school "hotties" was quoting Shakespeare to her. Dominic hadn't thought Troy Cassidy's acumen included literacy prowess, as she heard him render the first three lines of the famous sonnet:

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate;

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May..."

Casting a perfunctory glance at Troy Cassidy, she supposed if she was eighteen as well, she would have agreed Troy was a "hottie" with his sun bleached blonde locks falling over his forehead. His green eyes did compare to emerald gems and he was, well built for his age, wide shoulders and well toned calves from all the football, swimming and basketball. But Dominic was twenty four and a man's intellect was more attractive to her now, rather than just physical appearances. Luckily she had chosen well with her boyfriend Ryan. Now he was an attractive man of note, she smiled to herself as she responded to Troy's rendition of the sonnet.

'Troy, it is widely acknowledged, Shakespeare dedicated that to the Earl of Southampton. Is that a dedication to one of your football teammates?' She hid her grin with much difficulty. Dominic almost felt sorry for Troy, at the loud boos directed at him. He coloured with embarrassment. Something the cocky, over confident Troy rarely felt.

'It's algebra time class, get your text books out' she tried to get some semblance of order. 'Let's leave Shakespeare for this afternoon.'

Dominic smiled at Josh; his algebra text book was already opened. She wished the rest of the teenage boys were more sensible like him. He was her favourite in her class, although she should not have favourites; but Josh was respectful, academically above average, a good student, well adjusted, popular in the school and the community and the single character trait she adored about young Josh, he was not driven by his hormones. How many sixteen year olds could brag on that accomplishment?

Dominic knew the young impressionable girls in the school fell over themselves trying to win the attention of the likes of Troy Cassidy. She knew Troy and his good friend Gerard Sans were the two most popular boys in the school and sadly for these two young men, it was all about quantity; the number of unsuspecting girls they could lure into bed.

Dominic had started a Young Ladies' Tea Club (YLTC) in the school, after some urging from her neighbour Pastor Ralph Mitchell. She had approached the principal and pleaded with him to allow her the last period on a Friday afternoon to host the YLTC meetings with the senior girls. Some of the topics she discussed with the young ladies were life skills; withstanding peer pressure; self respect; etc.

Principal Paul Taylor had agreed. However the single, eligible principal had his own agenda for consenting. He anticipated Ms. Dominic Shaw would one evening agree to a romantic dinner with him. He lived in hope. Paul Taylor knew she had a boyfriend, but his view was, a pretty girl like her should be accessible to more than one guy and not exclusively to Ryan Cole, even if Ryan had so much more aesthetic appeal than himself.

Dominic was pleased the one hour lesson continued without any interruptions from the students. The entire class had participated. Even Troy had put his hand up once to offer an answer. She had to give him credit for trying, even though his answer was wrong.

'Josh, please hand out an assignment booklet for me to each pupil,' she held out the stack. There were moans and groans. 'You have one week class,' she instructed. There were more sighs. 'It contributes towards your year mark,' she warned. 'Come to me after school, if you need assistance,' she offered. 'With the assignment that is,' she added as an afterthought and turned her back to the class as she hid a smile and packed her bag. She knew one or two smart alecs of the opposite gender would jump at her offer, so she need to qualify her invitation.