CHAPTER 7

‘Is that not your name chopstick?’ Kaz narrowed her eyes at Josh and stood up.

‘I think you like me,’ Josh grinned.

‘I think you have amnesia,’ she, kicked his foot, but not too hard.

‘I think my jaw is broken,’ Josh moaned softly.

‘Come,’ Kaz spoke gruffly.  ‘You can wash up in my bathroom.  Your shirt is blood stained.’

‘Oh boy,’ Josh groaned bending his head to inspect his shirt.  ‘My mum is going to murder me.’

‘I’ll wash it out for you,’ Kaz offered.  ‘Walk faster,’ she instructed.  ‘You move like a girl.’

‘Does that mean I move gracefully,’ Josh pointed one foot in front of the other, with one hand on his hip, in a striking pose.

Kaz threw her head back and laughed.

‘She has a sense of humour.  What do you know,’ Josh mumbled under his breath.

‘Hurry up!’ Kaz raised her voice.  ‘I’ve still got to get to work.’ She ran up the stairs to her flat.

‘May I see where you work?’ Josh asked.

‘Why?’

He shrugged his shoulders.  ‘Just,’ he answered.

‘I’m going to make you work,’ she warned.

‘I’m not afraid of work,’ he smiled and followed Kaz into her flat.

‘Take your shirt of,’ she ordered.

‘Excuse me?’  Blood rushed to his cheeks.  He was as red as a tomato.

‘So I can get the blood of, you pervert.’

‘Oh right,’ Josh began unbuttoning his shirt.  ‘Wow, everything is so neat in here,’ he looked around.

The last time he’d sneaked in there, it had been a right royal mess.  It was like he was in a different apartment.

‘The cleaning lady came in today,’ Kaz smiled.  She comes in once a week.  The other six days of the week the place looks like a tornado hit it.

‘I know---.’

Kaz raised an eyebrow at him questioningly.

‘I mean my sister’s bedroom always looks like a tornado hit it.’

Kaz washed out Josh’s shirt and tossed it into the tumble dryer.  While they waited, she handed Josh a glass of fruit juice.  He felt uncomfortable standing there, topless.  He was certain Kaz was thinking, he was a scrawny, anorexic looking teenager, for he was slight in built with no muscles or psyche to admire.

‘So who all lives here?’ Josh asked in an attempt to ease the silence.  Kaz did not seem like she minded the silence.  She was sitting on the kitchen table, dangling her legs backwards and forwards, waiting for the dryer to stop.  She looked up when Josh spoke.

‘Don’t you want to call your folks or something?’ Kaz avoided answering.  She jumped of the table and opened the dryer.

‘Yes, I suppose, I better,’ Josh drew his cell phone out of his pocket and called his mum, telling her he was at a friend and would be home late.  ‘You have not answered my question,’ he reminded her.

Kaz tossed his shirt to him.  ‘We need to go.’  She went to her room, put on a pair of jeans, a tee shirt and came out again.

Josh studied Kaz from the corner of his eye as she emptied the dustbins.  He made sure his broom was making convincing rhythmic sweeps as his eyes followed her.  She was very pretty.  He liked how she smiled at the toddlers, or playfully pinched one’s cheeks as she went about stacking the chairs.