Chapter 1

"Remind me again Sarah, why we have customers in Brooklyn?" I ask laughing along with Sarah.

We're both laundresses and partners. We split the money fifty-fifty.

"Because they buy dresses off your mother?"

"That would be right!"

We burst out into laughter as we start to walk on the Brooklyn bridge. A woman starts calling out for someone to buy her roses.

"Wouldn't it be so romantic if someone bought us roses?" Sarah asks sighing.

I nod as a woman starts to try to sell milk to us.

Can't anyone see that we're two fifteen year old girls carrying folded laundry in baskets? We aren't interested, and not to mention poor.

Another woman calls out for ripe strawberries.

"Sarah, I wish we could have some strawberries, don't you?"

"I do, but with my father being laid off, we don't have enough money," she says frowning.

We head towards the rich end of the borough.

"Why didn't you mention that before? I'm sure my mother could give you money and Charles, he makes some money as a newsie," I explain.

"Al, you just might have a point! Maybe David could be a Newsie," she says with a small smile.

I let out a sigh as I see the Newsies with papers starting to head out of the day.

"Sarah, they're in our path," I sigh.

"Well, time to have courage, Al," she nudges me in front of her.

We start to walk by them in front of the Circulation office. They take off their hats and whistle. I roll my eyes and walk a bit faster. So rude. I put my basket down on the side walk as Sarah does the same.

"Those Brooklyn Newsies weren't very polite," I say irritated," What gives them the right to whistle and do that to us?"

"I'm too hot to care, right now."

"I told you to wear your summer dress. It is May, you know."

Sarah shrugs and picks her basket back up. Suddenly, a boy runs by and picks up my basket before I can.

"Excuse me! That's mine!" I yell at him.

He's not running away," May I carry dis foah ya, Miss?"

"No, because then you'll charge me for it afterwards."

"We know how this works," Sarah chimes in.

I look at the boy, I notice his ice blue eyes and his red suspenders. Then, his newsie cap with small pieces of dirty blonde hair poking out, he wants us to buy his paper.

"We'll buy a paper, if I can have my basket back. We need to have these delivered soon."

"Well, I's be delighted ta sell ya a pape," he smirks as he pulls a newspaper out of his bag," One penny."

I dig into my small bag for a penny, I can't find one," Here's a nickel."

"Thank ya, Miss. So's, where am I takin' ya ladies ta drop dese off?"

Sarah tells him the address and he starts to lead the way. We're about halfway there when I notice Sarah starting to get tired.

"Why don't you carry her basket? She's probably getting tired," I say glaring at him.

"I'm fine, I just need to stop for a minute. Keep carrying her basket," Sarah has a mischievous smile on her face as she puts her basket down.

The boy sets the basket down next to me.

"Hey! When d'ja ya become a laundry carriuh?"

The boy turns to look at the younger boy across the street," Mind ya own business, will ya?"

Sarah picks up her basket and the boy does the same. We finally get to the house.

"You can set that down right here," I order him.

He sets it down by my feet," Wells, goodbye, Miss."

Before I can turn around, he grabs my hand and presses a kiss onto the back. I yank my hand away from him.

"Until next time," he smirks at me.

He walks away, starting to sell his papers.

I reach up to my neck," Sarah, my-my necklace!"

"Look in the basket."

We start to look in my basket. It's not there.

"I bet that boy took it."

We look around for him, but he's gone. That's the only thing I had left of my father.