Chapter 3

I briskly walk across the bridge as boys stare at me. I put on my pink and black dress, hopefully it will help me get back my necklace. I finally find the Circulation center again. Good, the Newsies are getting papers. I'll stop him on his way out. Blue eyes, dirty blonde hair, red suspenders.

A boy comes out, green eyes, blonde hair and I can't tell what color of suspenders. He struts over to me. He puts his arm on the brick wall beside me and leans on it.

"So, what's a beautiful goil like yahself doin' waitin' out heah?" He asks me.

"I waiting for someone actually, maybe you could help me. He has ice blue eyes, dirty blonde hair, wears red suspenders, and he's about this tall," I show him a couple inches above my head," Do you know him?"

"Why do you'se want him, when I'se right here?"

I give him an abhor look. Another boy comes up behind him and puts his hand on his shoulder. He has ice blue eyes, dirty blonde hair, and red suspenders. That has to be him.

"Ace, lay off the beautiful goil, will ya?" The boy pushes Ace behind him and takes the same pose Ace had.

My necklace! It's hanging around his neck!

"That's my necklace, and I want it back," I demand.

He takes it off his neck and swings it in front of me," Dis piece I swiped off ya yesterday?"

I hold out the palm of my hand," I want it back."

"Really?" He asks mockingly," I'se was tinkin' off keepin' it."

I try to snatch it out of his hands. He grabs it back and dangles it higher above my head.

"Please give it back it was my father's, he gave it to me," I plead.

He smirks," Well, how's 'bout dis? I'll be nice and give it back."

My face lights up with a smile.

"If-"

My smile drops to a frown.

"If you'se meet me on da bridge at 8."

I shake my head," No, how do I know you won't kill me, if I go."

"Princess, trust me."

I start to walk away, but he quickly grabs my hand and pulls me back to him.

"Princess, what's your name?"

"Don't call me that and it's Allyson," I snap," What's yours?"

"Spot. Spot Conlon."

He lets go of my hand. I turn on my heel and start to walk away.

"Allyson," he mumbles," Allyson."

I smile is stained on my face as I walk back to Manhattan.