Chapter 40.

"Dis is really where you've been workin'?" Spot asks looking around," I didn't know you could do dis."

"Buenas noches, señorita Allyso-," Maria walks in," I did not know you had invited a guest."

"I'll come by foah ya later Al, we'll go to Brooklyn," Spot mumbles heading towards the door.

"No, no, I will go," Maria giggles," You two stay here. A perfect place for a bride and groom."

Maria runs out of the room and Spot heads to the door again," I'll go to ya house to get your things."

"You can't! My mother!" I exclaim," What was your mère like?"

"If she met ya, she'd come runnin' in from the kitchen to welcome ya," he places his chin on top of a manikin with one of Medda's dresses," She lived in the kitchen."

"Always dressed so elegant?" I laugh.

"Oh, I'se told 'er you were comin' ovah. She'd look at ya face and try not to smile. She'd say,' skinny, but pretty'," he smiles.

"She was plump, no doubt," I smile.

He holds the sides of the dress and stretches them," Fat."

"I take after my mother, delicate boned," I explain walking over to another manikin.

Spot comes over and attempts to kiss me.

"Not in front of Mother!" I exclaim turning the manikin around. I turn to another manikin, but this one in tux," I would like to see Father in this! Mother will make him ask you about your prospects. If you go to church."

"Oh, always," he smirks. He only goes when I make him.

"Father might like you," I smile lifting up the top hat.

"May I have your daughter's hand?" He asks the manikin.

I lift the sleeve to Spot," He says yes."

He shakes the sleeve like there's a hand," Merci!"

"And your mother?" I ask.

Wait, Spot wants to marry me. How long has he wanted to?

"I'm afraid to ask her."

"Tell her she's not gaining a daughter, but rid of a son!" I laugh pushing him towards a manikin.

Butterflies start to pick up in my stomach as he speaks again," She says yes!"

"She has good taste!" I laugh.

Spot grabs another manikin and places it down by me," Your maid of honor."

"This color is bad for Sarah," I explain feeling the coarse pink fabric.

"The best man!" Spot goes to grab the manikin that's supposed to be my father.

"That is my father!" I exclaim and he takes the top hat off of it," Sorry Father."

He finds another tux manikin as I place a veil on my head," There Ace, womb to tomb."

I go over to the Sarah manikin," See Sarah? I've told you there's nothing to worry about."

"Look, Ma's cryin' already," he smiles.

We meet each other's gaze. It's like every moment we've shared is running through my head. My heart picks up its pace as Spot takes my hand and we kneel down on the ground beside one another.

"I, Sean, take thee, Allyson," Spot whispers.

"I, Allyson, take thee, Sean," I whisper back.

"For richer, for poorer," he states.

"In sickness and in health," I recite.

"To love and to honor."

"To hold and to keep."

"From each sun to each moon."

"From tomorrow to tomorrow."

"From now to forever."

"Till death do us part."

"With this ring, I thee wed," he pushes an engagement ring onto my ring finger.

"With this ring, I thee wed."

He does want to marry me!

"Make of our hands one hand. Make of our hearts one heart. Make of our vows one last vow: only death will part us now," Spot sings pulling me up off the ground.

"Make of our lives one life. Day after day, one life," I sing lacing our fingers together.

"Now it begins, now we start. One hand, one heart; Even death won't part us now," Spot kisses me holding my waist," Make of our lives one life. Day after day, one life. Now it begins, now we start. One hand, one heart. Even death won't part us now."

"Allyson, will ya?" Spot asks running his fingers over the ring.

"Oui, je t'aime, Spot," I smile.

"Je t'aime, Allyson," he whispers putting his chin on my head," Will ya be ready by late next week?"

"I will make it so."