Chapter 6

Charles links arms with me as we walk into the Newsboy Lodge. Everything's run down, old and made of wood. Except the small thin mattresses on the bunk beds. As soon as I walk into the room the whistles, hoots, and calls begin.

"What's a dame like you'se doin' 'ere?"

"Come heah beautiful!"

"I'll show ya a good time!"

A boy about my age comes down a set of stairs," Spot says he's gonna soak ya, if you'se don't shut it."

I lean down to Fetch," Where's Spot at?"

"He's got his own room," Fetch grabs my hand and runs up the stairs dragging me with him.

Spot's laying on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed. He's covered in a thin blanket. Groaning constantly in pain. The boy from earlier dips a rag in a small pail of water and sets it on Spot's forehead.

"Is she on her way?" Spot groans in pain holding his head.

"Who?" The boy says jokingly.

"The goil that letter was for, stupid!" Spot snaps.

So, its this other boy's writing. I let go of Charles and Fetch and take a couple steps closer to his bed.

"Spotty?" I whisper.

His head slowly turns towards me," Hey Princess. Sorry, but I'se had jailhouse fever."

Typhoid.

"And I'se got another week before I'm clear."

I look at the boy beside him," Change that water now, get fresh, and don't get it from the river."

He nods and grabs the bucket before running down the stairs.

I set the clothes down on the corner of his bed and sit on the side by his chest," You had me worried sick."

"You got me clothes?"

"Well, I just made you a shirt and pants. I saved money and bought you a new pair of shoes."

"I can't take dem. I'se don't have anytin' to give ya."

He looks down at the key hung around his neck.

"Spot, you don't have to give me anything."

He hands me his key," Ya wear ya fadder's necklace 'cause it reminds ya of 'im. So, wear mine ta remind ya of me."

I slip the string over my head. His hand slowly inches towards mine and intertwines our fingers.

"I thought you died, Spot. Especially, when it wasn't your handwriting, and it was signed your real name."

"Let me see!" He demands.

He snatches the letter out of my hand and quickly reads over it," Remind me to soak Ace when he gets back."

Ace soon comes back with the bucket. I take the cloth he had and dip it in the water. I ring it out before wiping it around Spot's face.

"You'se don't gotta take care of me," he barely whispers.

"Yes, I do. It's what you do when you care about someone."

I took care of him for the rest night and showed Ace what to do.

"As soon as I'se can get outta 'ere, I'll visit you'se."