Chapter 44

Mother and Sarah won't let me glance at my dress or Spot's suit. So, I've been stuck doing my gray dress.

"Are you nervous about leaving your family?" Jessamine asks me while she sews Spot's pants," I was horrified when I left my family in France to marry Fletcher."

I've never thought of that before. Once Spot and I go to Brooklyn after the wedding, I'll be there to stay.

I'll never fall asleep on the couch and wake up in my bed the next morning. I'll never walk to church with them in the morning. I'll never say bonne nuit to my brothers every night now. I won't make Charles breakfast every morning before he carries the banner. I won't order Fletcher to stop his painting to eat lunch. I won't hear about Bennett's cases every night when he comes home. I won't be apart of Evan's tricks.

I'm going to miss them so much. I've taken our daily rituals for granted all this time.

"I miss the homeland as much as you if not more and as for my family, I miss them like when Lady Macbeth misses her innocence and sanity," I state sighing," Finished!"

I stand up holding the dress up to Jessamine," Isn't it lovely?"

"My Allyson, the best of seamstresses could not compare to that!" She laughs.

"Allyson?" The bell echoes through the shop even through the sounds of the sewing machine and our chatter.

Spot must be done selling papers already. He dips me as he kisses me.

"Good day?" I laugh once he pulls away.

"You'se gonna be me wife by eleven tomorrow. So it's a great day," his cold eyes sparkle and smile.

"Spot, um," Mother comes out from the back room wiping tears from her eyes," Could you help Allyson pack her things? So that you can take them to Brooklyn and spread things around. She does not like things to be unfamiliar. It will seem more homelike with her things spread out."

My heart shaders as she breaks into full on sobs. I am her last daughter. It means so much that she can remember little things like that.