Chapter 24

Allyson's POV

"Spot?" I whisper nudging him.

He doesn't respond, but his eyes are open just staring at the ceiling. I pull him onto the thin mattress and brush his hair back out of his face. His right eye is starting to get swollen. Poor Spot. My fingers gently brush over his bleeding lip. He turns his head slowly to look over at me," Did dey hoit ya?"

"No, not one finger," I lie," What did they do to you?"

"Don't worry 'bout it," he sits up and leans on the wall next to me.

"What are we going to do?" I ask softly.

"Don't know, whatcha ya know?"

I lean my head on his shoulder as he wraps his arm around my waist," I know that one of them comes down here once a day, but the others are up stairs."

Spot closes his eyes and leans his head back on the wall," Go dtí go gcomhlíonfaimid arís, d'fhéadfadh Dia a choinneáil ort i bpilmeán a láimh."

"What?"

"Irish."

"Oh."

We stay silent for what feels like hours. The hours feel like days. Neither of us even glance at each other. I just stare at the same dirty brick in the wall. There has to be a place for us. Where no one can tell us what to do. Where no one can tell us we can't be together.

"There's a place, for us. Somewhere, a place for us. Peace and quiet and open air. Wait for us. Somewhere," Spot sings putting his chin on up of my head.

"There's a time, for us. Some day a time for us. Time together with time to spare. Time to look, time to care. Some day!" I sing.

"Somewhere. We'll find a new way of living," Spot sings.

"We'll find a way of forgiving.
Somewhere," I sing holding his hand and lacing our fingers together.

"There's a place for us, a time and place for us. Hold my hand and we're halfway there. Hold my hand and I'll take you there. Somehow, Some day, Somewhere!"

The door opens and it's like the light to heaven in the doorway. My hands fly up to my eyes because it's so blinding. Kieran stomps down the stairs," Can you two shut up?"

Spot stands up and limps over to him," Don't talk ta me like dat. Remember who saved you'se from Pop all dose times?"

"Shut up, Sean," Kieran shoves Spot down back on the mattress," You've always been a coward."

Spot pops right back up," You'se da real coward, ta afraid ta run or walk away from him."

Kieran goes to hit him, but Spot jumps out of the way. Kieran pushes him down again and starts to kick him in the stomach. Spot starts to cough up blood as Kieran only hits him more. He can't get hurt anymore. I shakily stand up and creep over to Kieran. I shove him away from Spot.

"You bitch!" Kieran spits.

He grabs my wrist and drags me up the stairs behind him. We pass a girl about my age on the way to wherever he's taking me.

She starts following us," Kieran let her go. Wait, is this why you, Reagan, and Pop keep going down to the basement?"

"Just go away, Theodora. And stay out of our business."

Theodora looks at me with her cold blue eyes and dirty blonde hair covering some of her face," I wish Sean was here because he'd put you back in your place like he always did."

Kieran stops mid step and turns back towards Theodora," Don't you ever say that name to me again."

She goes back into the room she came out of. Kieran throws me into another room. He slams the door behind him, making the room shake. I shuffle around the small office like room. My eyes catch a blanket on the ground in the corner. It's surrounded by picture frames.

The pictures are of a fading woman and Spot's father. Spot and Theodora are even in some. They all looked so happy. And from what I've seen so far none of them are anymore. Nobody ever is.