Chapter 29

I near Blink on the busy street corner, he's the only one I trust anymore.

"One please," I whisper handing him a penny.

He glares at me and shoves a paper into my hands after snatching the penny. I sigh and start to walk away.

"Where's Romeo?" Blink snaps.

I turn on my heel and face him again," He's actually more of a Count Paris in my mind."

"What do you want?" He sneers.

"Tell me where he's buried. I want to go there," I sigh.

"He's not."

I furrow my eyebrows at him and cock my head.

"He's still alive. Yuh believed dat son of a bitch Delancey. Now, becawze of ya bein' so stupid and ya got no hope in 'im, he's heartbroken," Blink spits at me.

"I still love him. If you see him or Fetch, tell him I want him to come to 23457 Beekman Street, and it's flat 6," I say brushing away my tears," Goodbye."

**********

I set the last place at the table as the clock chimes four times. Oscar and Morris should be home in an hour. I guess Spot doesn't want me back. I would be running through the streets looking for him.

It still haunts me how quick my father let me go. They all think I'm an object. A porcelain glass one too.

As soon as my father realized Spot was dead, I got kicked to the curb with the scum of the street. Oscar told my father that he would be willing to take Spot's place. My father didn't even think twice about it, Delancey's did have money after all and that's worth more than love and free will to my father. But after my father agreed Oscar said I would have to move in with him and Morris. My family and my father couldn't even argue, they had made a deal with the devil.

And I didn't even get a say, in what to do with a girl who is newly bereaved. That's the last time I've seen or talked to my family. Oscar keeps me locked away in here like Rapunzel. Now I know why. He never wanted me to know that Spot was still alive.

Someone knocks on the door! Spot! I fling the door open and wrap my arms around the person at the door.

"Mademoiselle Allyson, it's me, Mrs. Fleming."

I let go of her and whisper out an apology in French. Mrs. Fleming knows choppy French because her son has a mail order bride from France.

"Allyson, I believe this belongs to you," she thrust Spot into my arms.

"Merci, Madame Fleming. Please do not tell Monsieur Oscar or Morris about this," I beg pushing him into the flat.

"Mademoiselle Allyson, your affairs are not of my business. Besides if I was still young and my husband was gone all day with those newsboys running around. I've have one too," she laughs.

"It's not an affair. He's an old friend of mine," I lie with a fake smile.

"He's a handsome old friend, but then again what affair do I know about. I don't remember this ever happening."

I smile at her and shut the door. I wrap my arms around Spot and cry into his chest," We need to find a way to get me out of here."

"Why you'se and Delancey be livin' happy ever afta?" Spot scoffs pushing me away.

"Spot, I still love you," I plead," Please take me back."

"Den, why'd ya leave me foah Delancey? 'Cause he's got money or sometin'?" He yells.

"No, I didn't get a choice! Oscar told my family you were dead! He wanted my hand and my father gave it to him! Now, I can't even talk to them, Sarah, or Blink," I scream at him," I sob and cry myself to sleep every night because of you!"

"You'se a liar!" He yells pushing me down.

"No, you are! Remember? There's a place for us, Al! That's the biggest lie there is!" I scream standing back up.

I rip his key off my neck and throw it at him," You said it first! And you can keep this stupid key!"

He huffs and puffs out his chest," I'se nevah needed you'se! You'se a just a pretty whore with air foah a brain. You'se would spread your legs for anyone!"

"I've never even done it!" I scream pointing my finger at him.

"Sure, I'll believe dat as soon as the Delancey's stop stinkin'," he rolls his eyes," What do ya tink I wanted from ya other dan dat?"

"Then, why'd you say all those things to me, you bastard? That you love me. That there's a place for us to be together. That you would protect me. Where are you every night that Oscar beats me for doing something wrong? Where were you this afternoon when he slapped me for not kissin-" his lips crash down on mine cutting me off.

My hands fall from my arms frantically thrashing around. They clench onto his biceps as his hands squeeze my waist. What are we doing? If Oscar catches us, Spot'll be dead in a second. Spot pulls me closer deepening our kiss. My body tenses as my heart pounds out of my chest.

He pulls away leaving me breathless and panting. Spot leans his forehead down against mine," I'se didn't mean what I said. I still love you."

"I love you too. I'm sorry I called you all those things."

The clock chimes five times, Oscar and Morris will be home any minute. I lead Spot over to the window with the fire escape. I start to push him out the window as the lock on the door clicks," Go, come back tomorrow as you as you finish selling papers."

He nods and starts to run down the steps as the door swings open. Oscar slams the door shut, making the flat shake. I'm free, finally.