"a suicide mission."

Diving down towards the surface of the Death Star, Ace's heart leapt into her throats as the surface suddenly magnified, the thousands of lights glowing across the dull, grey surface of the weapon suddenly becoming millions. And then Ace began to fire, lasers flying out from her ship and hitting the surface of the Death Star, pummeling it as the lights slowly flickered off.

     Small explosions ricocheted across the surface of the Death Star as other X-Wings follows in suit, all opening fire on the fortress. Pulling up, Ace hardly dodged the fiery flames that leapt up as a result, the deep breath she hadn't even realized she had been holding exhaling from her body.

     Laser bolts streaked through the starry night, disturbing the once peaceful backdrop of space. Rebel fighters continued to press closer towards the Death Star as its massive laser guns swung forwards, aiming for the hoarders of X-Wings. Taking in a sharp breath, Ace just barely swerved by a jet of green light aiming for the wing of her ship, ducking as another one sought to hit the hull of her X-Wing. Firing back, Ace struggled to dodge blasts.

"Heavy fire, boss!" One of the pilots exclaimed, "Twenty degrees!"

"I see it," responded Red Leader over the speakers, "Stay low."

"This is Red Five," Luke's voice came in over the speakers and Ace could just barely make out his X-Wing just one parsec from her, "I'm going in."

Ignoring Luke's comments, Ace dove her ship nose first back towards the surface of the Death Star, narrowly missing lasers as they shot towards her X-Wing. With a small, satisfied noise, Ace let out a heavy stream of fire, pulling up just in time to avoid the seven miniature explosions that ricocheted off the grey surface of the Death Star, a bomb of reds, oranges, and grays.

"Luke, pull up!" Ordered another pilot and there was a moments pause, "Are you alright?"

"I got a little cooked but I'm okay." Responded Luke.

Ace let out a sigh of relief, not even realizing she had become so tense when she heard the pilots warning to Luke. Her grip tightening on the yoke, Ace prepared to make haste towards a part of the Death Star with a heavy cannon.

"Red Leader, permission to go in for the cannons?"

"Permission granted, Ace."

     Diving in again, Ace sped towards the cannons, praying that she would be able to take them out before they took out her, or, even worst, one of the other pilots.

But she was not so lucky.

With a heavy THUD, one of the lasers just barely skidded by the frame of her ship. A heavy explosion boomed right by her and Ace disappeared, engulfed in a heavy blast.

"ACE!" The panicked voice of Luke shrieked through the com links, his frantic voice piercing through the com links to every single pilot in the Red Squadron, "Ace, are you okay? Ace!"

     There was a loud cough on the other end, followed by a horrid static noise.

    "I'm-I'm okay, farm boy." Said Ace, her voice hoarse and barely audible through her now slowly breaking connection as her X-Wing shuddered above the explosion, wobbling horribly. "Took the brunt of that explosion, cannons are harder to take out than I thought."