Chapter 2: Unforeseeable Future

Midoriya awoke to the smell of cleaning products and the sounds of beeping and sobbing. The room was very dim, and he couldn't see anything. His hand was warm and wet, and he felt another hand holding his. The room was dark, but he recognized the sobbing as his mother. He had heard her crying many times before, but this was different. This was a heavy, hard sob.

"Mom...?" he whispered. His mouth and throat were dry and his head was on fire. At the sound of his voice, his mother squeezed his hand hard.

"Izuku...! Oh my god you're awake...!" Midoriya tried to sit up, but the action sent a shot of white hot pain through his head. His mother pushed him gently back into the pillow. Midoriya went to rub his head and found that it was covered in bandages.

"Mom, what happened?" he asked quietly. He heard his mother break out into fresh sobs.

"I'm so sorry...! I'm so sorry...!" She repeated the phrase over and over. Midoriya grasped her hand and squeezed it gently.

"It's not your fault. I promise," he said reassuringly. His memory was fuzzy, all he remembered was falling. Eventually his mother calmed herself enough to talk.

"I don't really know what happened... I just remember Katsuki calling me and telling me that you'd been targeted by a villain and..." She took a deep breath, trying not to cry. "He told me that you'd jumped off the school roof..." Midoriya's heart sank. A villain. He'd been attacked by a villain, and they'd almost killed him. Midoriya's mother rubbed circles in his hand, still trying not to cry.

"He's here, if you'd like to see him." Midoriya nodded, immediately regretting it when the pain exploded in his head again. He felt his mother let go of his hand and heard her footsteps as she made her way across the room.

"Hey mom? While you're up, can you turn the lights on? It's so dark." He heard his mom suddenly stop.

"I-Izuku that's not funny," she stammered.

"What are you talking about? I'm not trying to be funny..." He heard his mother's footsteps rush back towards him and then a slight breeze on his face. "Mom, what are you doing? What's going on?"

"Izuku, how many fingers am I holding up??" she demanded, almost begging.

"I don't know! I can't see!" Suddenly, it hit him. He touched his face, hoping that there were bandages on his eyes that might be inhibiting his vision, but there were none. "I... I can't... see... Mom? Are the lights on?" She started sobbing once and she clutched his hand.

"I'm sorry Izuku... They are... I'll get the doctor..." Her hand left his and he heard the door open and close. A new set of footsteps entered the room, ones that were lighter than his mother's.

"You're awake." Midoriya's eyes widened.

"Kacchan! Mom did say you were here!" Midoriya said happily, glad to be talking to his friend. Bakugou stayed silent for a bit, taken aback by Midoriya's tone, before speaking again.

"Why are you so fucking happy about my being here?" he asked gruffly.

"Because we're friends!" Midoriya replied. Bakugou was once again silent. "Aren't we?"

"You still want to be my friend? After everything that's happened?"

"Of course. Everyone deserves a second chance, don't they?" Bakugou looked at his childhood friend in that hospital bed sadly. His head was wrapped up in blood-soaked bandages and his eyes were glazed over. Yet, he was still smiling and trying to rekindle their friendship that Bakugou himself had broken off years ago. He stayed quiet, contemplating, when Midoriya's smile faltered and he started looking around.

"Kacchan? Are you still here?"

"Of course I am, dumbass," he responded, bewildered. "I'm right in front of you." Midoriya's smile faded completely, and he looked downward.

"Kacchan..." he whispered. "I can't see..." Bakugou's heart jumped.

"What do you mean you can't see??" He grabbed Midoriya by the shoulders, forcing the green haired boy to face him. His eyes were out of focus and still glazed.

"K-Kacchan, please don't jerk me around like that!" he squeaked, "It hurts!" Bakugou immediately let go.

"You can't see...!" The door opened and Midoriya's mother rushed in with a doctor. The doctor brought out a small flashlight and waved it in front of Midoriya's eyes. When he didn't flinch, the doctor started speaking quietly with Midoriya's mother. Bakugou looked at his friend in a shocked silence.

I caused this, he thought, If only I would've noticed something sooner... Once the doctor was finished speaking, he turned to the youngest Midoriya.

"We're going to need to run a few tests, okay? Your mother can come with us." Midoriya nodded and a nurse wheeled him out of the room, Inko close on her heels, leaving Bakugou in the empty room.