Chapter 8: No Longer Quirkless

Midoriya woke up in a soft bed. He was still tired and was about to go back to sleep when he remembered the events that had transpired earlier that day. He bolted up and waited to feel any sort of pain. However, he felt none.

"Hello dear. I'm glad you're awake." Midoriya heard a voice say. It sounded very old and he felt a soft, wrinkly hand shake his. "My name is Recovery Girl. I'm UA's school nurse."

"H-Hello Recovery Girl. Where am I?"

"Don't worry, you're in the infirmary. I just have to run a few tests to make sure everything is working properly and you can go home." Midoriya remained still except to follow her instructions until he couldn't hold his questions any longer.

"How are my limbs not broken?"

"It's my Quirk, dear. Whenever I kiss someone it advances their body's natural healing."

"What happened to that girl? Is she ok??"

"She's perfectly fine. You prevented most of the damage that could've occurred to her."

"Good. Final question, I promise, how will I get home?"

"Well one of our teachers has said he'll guide you home. He's well aware of your condition and said that he knows the way to get back." Midoriya wondered which teacher she could be talking about. He was about to ask when she spoke first.

"He's actually waiting for you outside right now. So now that I can safely give you a clean bill of health, you may go home." Midoriya thanked her and got off the bed. She handed him his shoes and he put them on. Before he was done, the door opened and footsteps walked towards him. He felt a big hand clap on his shoulder and a booming voice.

"That was impressive Young Midoriya!" Midoriya smiled as he recognized All Might's voice. Then his smile fell when he realized that while it was impressive, he had also broken himself in the process. Oh, and that the robot he had taken down was one worth zero points.

"Thanks All Might, but I didn't score any points..." he muttered. All Might patted his head.

"Don't worry about that, Young Midoriya! Exams will be scored a little differently this year, so who knows what'll happen! What you should worry about now is getting home, I'm sure your parents are worried!"

Well, mom definitely is. Midoriya thought. He simply nodded and All Might handed him his cane. He turned into his skeletal form, so as not to attract too much attention, and they headed to Midoriya's house.

All Might noticed his young apprentice's silence. Normally if he walked Midoriya home, the boy would talk the whole way. He would talk about his progress in training or school or sometimes he'd tell stories about his friend Young Bakugou. All Might did notice how he never talked about himself other than training, but never pushed the subject. But as they walked in increasingly unbearable silence, All Might was desperate for Midoriya to say anything. He wanted to give some sage advice or something like that, but he had no experience as a teacher. He decided that he had to say something at least, so he gave it a shot.

"Hey, kid. Keep your head up. You did everything you could today."

"Yeah, but everything I did amounted to nothing..." All Might turned towards him, slightly heartbroken at the small boy's tone.

"Listen, don't say that. You saved that girl out there! That's not nothing! I'm sure she's very grateful that you stepped in when you did!" Midoriya gave a soft smile.

"Yeah, okay. I guess I did." The green-haired boy looked at his mentor. "I just couldn't leave her there. Everyone else was running away and no one saw her and... I just had to do something!"