Chapter 6: Training

Once Midoriya was home safe, his mother hugged him close and cried relentlessly. She held him tight and didn't let go until he reassured her for the 50th time that he was fine. Inko could never stay mad at her son, and she only insisted he call next time he would be late. She then sat him down with a bowl of katsudon and insisted he eat it, which he did. Katsudon was his favorite after all, and he was famished. Once he finished, he headed straight for bed and tried to sleep. He couldn't, and he kept tossing and turning all night. All he could think about were the events that had transpired that day. Even though he had heard from All Might himself that he wouldn't be a hero, he still wanted to try more than ever. Eventually, he fell into a dreamless sleep from sheer exhaustion.

~~~~~~

The next went by fairly normally, the only difference being that Bakugou wasn't there. According to the teacher he had taken the day off to recover from the incident from the previous day. Midoriya was able to get around without him with his backup cane since his first cane was broken from the sludge monster attack.

It was only after school had ended that things became strange. Midoriya was on his way home when he heard a familiar voice.

"Wait, Young Midoriya!" Midoriya turned towards the voice and turned on his vision-aid to make sure he wasn't hearing things. Sure enough, All Might stood in his path. The skeletal version that Midoriya was still getting used to.

"I've been looking for you everywhere!" he said, panting. He had been running around for a while, Midoriya guessed from how tired he looked. Still, his heart stopped a bit. His idol had been looking for him? Why?

"W-what do you need from me?" Midoriya asked. All Might stood up straight and looked him in the eyes. Midoriya flinched from the intense gaze.

"I've been thinking about you ever since what you did yesterday. You ran in to save your friend even when others couldn't. When I couldn't." Midoriya looked down, slightly ashamed.

"Yeah... But all I did was get in the way..." All Might placed a hand on his shoulder and Midoriya looked back up at him.

"My boy, you acted like a true hero. You didn't let anything stop you from saving your friend, not even your own lack of eyesight. So I've made a decision."

"A decision?" All Might nodded.

"I'm going to train you to be a hero." Midoriya's heart stopped.

"Y-you're joking! You?? You'll t-train me??" he asked, befuddled. All Might gave him a smile and nodded again.

"I'm going to make you my successor. And if you prove yourself worthy, I'll pass my Quirk onto you." Midoriya's heart swelled with emotion at those words and that emotion began to show in his eyes. He broke down into sobs and fell to his knees at his hero's feet. He cried for a bit, before standing back up.

"I accept! Please train me to be the greatest hero I can be! I won't let you down!" All Might grinned at the boy's resolve.

"Excellent! Then I'll show you where we'll train, so save your vision so I can show you properly!" Midoriya nodded and turned off his vision-aid. He grabbed All Might's hand and All Might guided him towards their training area. Once there, Midoriya laid his eyes upon a beach that was absolutely mauled by trash. All Might explained that in order for Midoriya to be able to inherit his Quirk, he would have to train his body to clear off a section of the beach. He would also have to change his diet and train daily so his body could handle the strength of the Quirk.

Midoriya did just that and trained his body like All Might told him. Well, more than All Might had told him to. In fact, he overworked himself so much that All Might reprimanded him for doing so. After learning to follow his training and not overworking himself, Midoriya finally began to make progress.