Chapter 10: Ready for the Real World?

Midoriya looked down at his feet, unsurprised. He turned off his aid and tried his best not to cry. As he started to leave, Aizawa spoke.

"And no one is getting expelled!" The entire class, shocked, began to yell and clamour for an explanation. Aizawa simply smiled and continued. "It was a training exercise, to make sure that you really were giving it your all. So no one is getting expelled." Midoriya let his tears go and began crying out of happiness. Ururaka laughed and patted him on the back.

"You get to stay! Now let's get you to Recovery Girl!" Midoriya nodded and they headed off with Iida. Recovery Girl took one look at his finger and sighed.

"You overused your Quirk again, didn't you?"

"Well, I kept it one finger. Sorry I don't have good self control yet." Recovery Girl kissed his finger and he felt it start healing.

"I suppose I'll be seeing you in here a lot, huh?" she remarked. Midoriya gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, I'll do my best to keep working on it!" Recovery Girl patted his hand.

"Good. I like you, you're a good kid, but in my line of work you don't want regulars. Now go back to class." Ururaka grabbed his hand and they walked to class while chatting. Iida was trying to help Midoriya come up with ways to tame his Quirk, but their Quirks were very different and the advice wasn't very helpful. Ururaka simply offered praise and optimism, which Midoriya appreciated.

They got back to class, having not missed much. Aizawa quickly filled them in on what they'd missed, mostly the class introducing themselves, and they got in their seats. Midoriya figured that he'd learn his classmates names and voices with time. Aizawa explained the basics of what they would be doing in UA, most of which would being herowork of course, but they would also still have to learn math, Japanese, English, and other coursework. He also explained that they would practice like they would do in the real world, so getting a hero costume as soon as possible would be essential.

Once this was said, Midoriya realized that his planned costume would probably be a detriment now that he was blind. He needed his other senses as much as possible, and the costume he had designed covered his face and ears. After class had ended, he was called up by an announcement saying he was to go to the office. As he walked there, he was greeted by All Might who invited him in for tea. He accepted the offer, still seeing his mentor as his favorite hero and role model. As the tea cooled, All Might began to talk.

"My boy, I wanted to talk to you about your costume ideas. I plan on doing an exercise with prototype costumes, and I wanted to help you with yours considering your blindness and lack of control with One for All." Midoriya nodded and sipped at his tea.

"Thank you, I appreciate that. I had an idea for a costume, but that was before the incident. I have it in my notebook if you'd like to see it."

"Of course I would! It'll be easier to edit a costume than create a whole new one anyways!" Midoriya smiled at All Might's enthusiasm and dug out the notebook from his backpack. He felt its burnt edges and handed it to his mentor. All Might looked through the notebook, surprised at its detail. He couldn't help but take the time to look at some of the pages detailing some of the pro heroes he worked with. Drawings accompanied the writings of theories, notes, and Quirk strengths and weaknesses.

This kid really was determined to be a hero. Even if I hadn't given him a Quirk, surely he could've made it as a teacher or computer whiz. He looked through the pages until he reached the page with a hero he didn't recognize. It took him a second to realize that the rabbit-like drawing in front of him was Midoriya's hero costume. It was very detailed, with small writing telling what each piece of equipment was supposed to do. Some was purely for aesthetic, like the 'ears' that were supposed to resemble his own hair. The mouth guard was also supposed to resemble his constant smile. But like Midoriya had said, it was impractical for him to use this design now. It was also a little bit too close to his own costume. He closed the notebook and pressed it into Midoriya's hand.

"Listen, my boy. That is a pretty good start, but we can't use it." Midoriya nodded, expecting this. "Instead, what I want you to do at school tomorrow is go to the Support Class. They're the class in charge of making and renewing hero equipment. They're very smart and they should be able to help make a basic design that will work for you. I'll make it an extra credit project for them." Midoriya thought about it. He had never met anyone from the Support Class, and he wasn't sure what they would do. Aizawa-sensei had given them the name of a company that was supposed to make their hero costumes, which were supposed to be ready in a week. Would the Support Class be done in time? Surely they were smart to be making equipment, but-

"My boy, you're mumbling again." Midoriya sat up straight, shocked. All Might chuckled. "It'll be alright. I've already told Aizawa, he'll release you." Midoriya nodded again, and finished the rest of his tea.

"Do you need a guide home?" All Might asked.

"No thanks! I'm going to go find Kacchan so we can walk home like we used to!" All Might smiled.

"Just be careful, and don't forget."

"I won't!" Midoriya yelled back as he left the office. He hurried outside, not slipping on any puddles this time, and listened for his childhood friend. He soon heard Bakugou, as he was always very loud and explosive, and ran over to him.

"Kacchan! You wanna walk home together?" he asked, hoping to reconcile from that morning. Instead, Bakugou scoffed at him.

"No I fucking don't. Stop clinging to me like some lost puppy, Deku." Midoriya heard him start walking away and he put his hand on the blond's shoulder. At his touch, Bakugou spun around and knocked his hand away. "Don't fucking touch me you useless liar!" he shouted. Midoriya backed away in shock. He knew that Bakugou was upset, but he really had thought they were friends again.

"K-Kacchan-" he tried to say, but he was immediately cut off.

"Stop fucking calling me that! It's so fucking dumb and childish you piece of shit!" Midoriya felt Bakugou grab his collar and he felt the heat from his hand.

"I'm not friends with liars." Bakugou hissed before letting go. Midoriya fell down in shock and sat stunned as his childhood friend walked away. He stood up and brushed himself off as he tried to walk home.

What was I thinking? He thought. Of course he'd be upset. He's only ever known me as Quirkless. Surely it would be a shock for him that I suddenly have a Quirk. I should've known better. What can I do? I can't tell him, All Might made me swear to secrecy, but if I don't tell him anything I might lose him... He continued this line of thought until his cane bounced off of something and he ran into the someone attached to that something.

"I'm so sorry!" he shouted. "I wasn't paying attention!"

"It's alright." It was the boy from that morning, Todoroki. Midoriya looked up at him, confused.

"Why aren't you home already?" he asked. Todoroki was silent for a second.

"Personal reasons. What about you?"

"I had a meeting with a teacher." Midoriya thought for a second before it hit him. "Wait, where are we right now? I've been lost in thought this whole time..."

"We're still on campus, technically. Do you need a guide home?" Midoriya nodded.

"I'll give you the address if you can guide me. If it's not too much trouble that is!"

"No trouble at all. I don't want to go home yet anyways. Let's go." Midoriya slipped his hand into Todoroki's and they walked off UA campus together. Midoriya told him the address and at what point he could walk home by himself. Todoroki listened quietly and guided the smaller boy. The only time he spoke on their journey was to point out locations that Midoriya could use to guide his way next time. Midoriya made mental notes of these locations and tried to drill them into his brain. Once they got to the intersection that coincided with his way home from middle school, they stopped.

"Okay. I can make it from here. Thank you Todoroki!" he said, smiling. He was determined to make friends at his new school, especially since he'd just lost one.

"No problem. Feel free to ask again, I'd like the excuse," he said calmly. The boys said their goodbyes and they went their separate ways, Midoriya's mind filled with questions about his costume, his fight with Bakugou forgotten for now.