Chapter 22: Taiyaki and Killing Heroes

Midoriya woke up with a headache. As he groaned and tried to sit up, he noticed that he was warm and laying on something soft instead of laying on the cold hard ground outside. He began to wonder if the events of the previous night were a dream when Gran Torino called to him.

"You're allowed to sleep inside you know!" he shouted, confirming that the events of the previous night were not a dream.

"Sorry, sir. I was trying to practice One for All and I screwed up somewhere," Midoriya said, rubbing his forehead gently in an attempt to relieve the headache.

"What were you trying to do?" Gran Torino asked, placing a cold cup in Midoriya's hand. Midoriya sipped from it, finding it to be some water which he was grateful for.

"Well I thought about what you said, so I tried to make myself less rigid. I tried to use it as a body function, but it wasn't working. I just couldn't switch it fast enough." Gran Torino chuckled.

"Midoriya, the reason you were struggling is because you are very new to the proper method of usage for One for All! It's going to take some practice before you can use it to its fullest potential!" Midoriya sighed in relief, glad that he would be able to learn to use his power. Midoriya finished off the water before Gran Torino spoke again.

"It's not that surprising that you're struggling, Midoriya. Toshinori was able to use One for All properly from his very first usage, so he wouldn't be able to teach you properly on how to use it. He was naturally very strong." Midoriya nodded. All Might had said that he needed to train his body to be able to handle the power, but he never really gave any tips on how control One for All properly. He was suddenly very glad that Gran Torino had offered him an internship.

"Yes, as I recall it he only ever struggled with One for All because he was mourning the friend who gave it to him." Midoriya looked up, shocked. He had assumed that Gran Torino was the one who gave One for All to All Might, but instead it was someone else.

"A friend? Who were they?" Midoriya asked, eager to learn more about his favorite hero.

"You really want to know, huh? I didn't think you'd be so curious." Before Gran Torino could explain, the doorbell rang and he went to answer it. Midoriya was disappointed to be interrupted, but he took the opportunity to stand up and stretch. Nothing was broken and his head was starting to feel better.

"Boy, come to the door! I have a task for you!" Midoriya followed Gran Torino's demand and was subsequently handed a box.

"It's a new microwave! You know, since we broke the old one during our sparring match. And since you're here for an internship, you get to set it up and cook us some breakfast!" Midoriya was slightly dumbfounded, but he concluded that it was partially his fault that the first microwave was broken so he turned on his aid to install the new microwave. He then cooked some taiyaki and handed it to Gran Torino, who took a huge bite. Gran Torino yelped in surprise before dropping the taiyaki with a solid thunk.

"It's still frozen!" he grumbled, walking to the microwave. "Kid, you didn't put the plate in right! Now I've wasted some good taiyaki..."

"Sorry sir. I'm not used to this sort of microwave," Midoriya said, fixing the plate at Gran Torino's instruction. Gran Torino huffed and bopped Midoriya's head with his walking stick.

"You have to put it in correctly or it won't heat all the way through, only partly!" Suddenly, Midoriya felt an idea come to him.

Heating all the way through... Heating parts differently... That's it! Midoriya picked up the taiyaki off the floor.

"This taiyaki is me!" he shouted triumphantly. Gran Torino looked at him, slightly concerned.

"That whack to your head must've been more severe than I thought," he muttered. Midoriya blushed, realizing that he would have to explain his realization.