Chapter 15: Presenting, The Sports Festival

Midoriya woke up in the infirmary for the third time. He wasn't surprised at this point. His legs had healed and there were bandages around his eyes, which he was also unsurprised by. He sat up carefully and rubbed at the bandages. His eyes didn't burn anymore, but they were sore. He sighed and wondered about the damage he'd caused them, hoping it wasn't too bad.

"Oh good, you're awake. You need to stop coming here unconscious and severely injured young man!" Recovery Girl scolded. "You were bleeding out of your eyes! Do you know how much that scared me?! I'd never seen such a thing!" Midoriya bowed as much as he could in apology. He apologized several times as she continued to chastise him until she finally ran out of steam.

"Midoriya, you are the most troublesome student I've ever had," she said sternly, yet quietly. "You lost most of your vision. If you continue to overuse it like that, then you will lose it entirely. You might even have to have your eyes removed. Do you understand?" Midoriya shivered, despite the warmth of the room. He definitely did not want to lose his eyes like that, so he nodded. There was a knock at the door, and Recovery Girl told them to come in.

"Young Midoriya! Are you awake yet?" All Might asked as he walked in. Midoriya nodded and All Might's next words were quieter. "How do you feel?"

"I'm alright. Really."

"That's good. Your mother is here to take you home, she's very worried." Midoriya got out of bed quickly. He loved his mother and never wanted her to worry. After all, she just wanted the best for him and he knew that. Someone handed him his cane and All Might guided him outside where his mother was waiting. On the way, All Might informed him that no one else had been injured and that his classmates were quite worried about him. Midoriya soon heard the sound of crying and knew it was his mother. He had heard her cry plenty before. He embraced her and she clung to him as if he would disappear if she let go.

"Izuku! Are you okay??" she said through her tears.

"Yes mom, I'm fine. I'm perfectly fine, don't worry." Inko sniffled and blew her nose.

"We need to go home."

"Of course mom, let's go." Midoriya slipped his hand into his mother's and they walked home. All Might watched her sadly. He knew that he had failed as a protector and he didn't miss Inko's look of fear and disappointment as she guided her son home.

~~~~~~

UA was still in session the next day, giving Midoriya little recovery time. Inko insisted he stay home, but he was determined to go back and Inko knew that she wouldn't be able to stop him. She simply watched him go back to school, a slight limp in his walk, and she worried.

Midoriya walked into the classroom and was immediately greeted with hug/tackle from Ururaka that sent him sprawling.

"Deku-kun!!" she said, crying slightly.

"Huh?? What's going on??" he asked worriedly.

"We-We were all so scared! Wh-When I saw your face as you were being carried out all c-covered in blood...!" Her sobbing began anew and Midoriya did his best to comfort her.

"Seriously! You had blood coming out of your eyes like some kind of ghost!" Kirishima shouted. Ururaka was not his only concerned friend, and others quickly chimed in their concern.

"I'm okay! I just overused my vision-aid and it overheated, that's all it was! I'm okay I swear!" Midoriya shouted over them. Ururaka finally got off of him and helped him to his feet. She guided him to his desk as his classmates began to ask him several questions about his well-being or whether he had heard of their teacher's condition. Midoriya suddenly remembered the sight of Aizawa's head being smashed into the concrete, the blood everywhere, and shuddered.