09

"When I was a young lad living in England, my mother raised me by herself. After she died, I came out here, looking for my father." Will paused from wiping down the blade of his sword to look up at Evelyn who sat across him listening to every word he said.

Jack pushed himself off of the railing of the ship. "Is that so?" He asked uninterested, walking pasted the two.

"My father, Bill Turner?" Will spoke again and stood up from the barrel he was sitting on to follow Jack. "It was only after you learned my name you agreed to help. Since that's what I wanted I didn't press the matter. I'm not a simpleton, Jack. You knew my father." Will stood beside Jack as he fixed little issues with the ship.

Evelyn gave a little sigh and gave up trying to listen to their conversation. She hunched over on to the wooden railing of the ship, looking out at the sea. Resting her arms on it, she laid her chin on her crossed arms and watched the waves crash into each other. "It's so peaceful out at sea." Evelyn thought to herself, trying to take in all of ocean. A loud sound caused her to jump. Turning her head slightly, she saw Will hanging on the mizzenmast over the open sea with Jack just standing there. She pushed herself off of the barrel and ran up the stairs besides Jack. "What are you doing?!" Evelyn stared at Will, her mouth parted open.

"I'm here to given William here some rules." Jack pointed at Will with his sword. "What a man can do and what a man can't do. You can accept your father as a pirate and a good man, or you can't. Pirate is in your blood, so you'll have to square with that someday. Me, for example, I can let you down-"

"Please don't." Evelyn cut him off, begging. She turned to look at him with a pained face.

He booped her nose and turned his attention back to Will. "But I can't bring this ship into Tortuga all by me oneies, savvy?"

"Hey." Evelyn snapped, giving him a sharp look.

"What?"Jack gave a slow blink and a little shrug.

"I'm here too-but that doesn't mean I want you to drown him-what I'm saying is that I'm also here to help." Evelyn stumbled over her words a bit as she explained, moving her hands around as she talked.

"Love, you can't help with a taking care of a ship." Jack said casually.

The girl placed her hands on her hips, furrowing her eyebrows. "I can too!"

Jack turned his body to face her. "Do you even know anything about a ship or have even been on one?" A smug expression began to form.

Freezing in place, she hesitated. "No."

"Thank you." Jack turned back to face Will. "So." He turned the wheel of the ship and brought the mizzenmast back into its normal position, dropping Will on to the ground.

Evelyn took a few steps around him and then lowered down to the ground. She tucked her legs under her, looking down at Will. Her strawberry blonde hair fell forward as she met his eyes. Placing a hand behind Will's head and on his chest, she spoke softly to him. "Are you alright?"

Will stared at her for a moment then gave her a few nods and grabbed her hand that was placed on his chest. Their eyes locked and they stared at each other for a moment. Then the tip of a sword blade was pointing at them causing them to break their stare.

"Can you sail under the command of a pirate? Both of you?"Jack asked. Flipping the sword up, he caught the blade and offered the handle to Will. "Or can you not?"

Will slowly reached out and grabbed the handle of the sword. "Tortuga?"

Jack gave a wicked grin. "Tortuga."