14

Evelyn's eyes slowly peeled opened as she slowly regain consciousness. Her blurry eyes looked around the room until she blinked a few times to clear up her eye sight. Slowly, her emerald eyes moved to the giant window that stood against the back wall in the small cabin. It was a gloomy over cast, foggy morning. To Evelyn she felt like the weather matched her mood. She was still curled up in the same position on the bed as she slept in. She pulled her blanket under her chin and snuggled her hands on her hand, turning her head a bit to look at the door. Muffled voices came through the door revealing that the crew was up and moving. Footsteps past by but none came through the door. A sigh past through her nose as she blinked tiredly at the door. A part of her wanted Will to come barging through the door and the other wanted nothing to do with him anymore. She despised his name at the moment, the mere thought of him would anger her but would cause tears to well up in her sad, tired eyes.

Evelyn never truly felt pain before, not like this. This, to her, was a thousand times worse than the news of her arranged marriage with Leo. She never even really felt pain with how terrible her mother is or how iffy her father is.

Evelyn always had some bit of happiness the kept her afloat but now, without that bit of happiness, she felt herself drowning.

A knock on the door caused her to jump in surprise but instantly turn into panic. She couldn't see Will, she wasn't emotionally ready to see him. Evelyn couldn't get herself to speak so the door opened. Jack poked his head in and rushed in through the doorway. The pirate leaned back on the door and closed it shut. He turned his head to the right and looked down at her curled up under the brown blanket. Tilting his head, his face softened. His face melted into a sad but sweet smile. He walked over and squatted down by the side of the bed to look at her face to face.

Evelyn's puffy eyes followed him but she didn't move or speak.

Jack looked at her and let out a breath through his nose. "I heard what happened last night." He started, pausing to see if wanted to make a comment. When he realized she wasn't going to speak he continued. "I'm so sorry, love...I truly am." He said sincerely. "He wasn't right to do that. Well he isn't right to do a lot of things. Quite stupid, he is." Jack said jokingly to get her smile but Evelyn didn't crack. "Don't cry anymore." Jack said awkwardly after a pause before giving her arm a pat. When he realized nothing was working, he sighed and looked at her deeply. "I'm sorry, I'm not that good at this."

Evelyn wanted to smile on the outside like she was on the inside. "It's okay." Her voice came out hoarse and sweet.

Jack jumped at bit at her sudden words and wobbled at bit before gaining his balance back. "You speak!" He held an arm out and held the bed til he stood still. "Are you alright, love?"

Evelyn closed her eyes and let out a sigh through her nose. Then she pushed herself up into a sitting position, moving her legs off the bed and off to the side beside Jack. "No." She wrapped a bit of the blanket around her lower back and arms as the rest pooled on her legs.

"Don't worry, darling, things may not be so good at the moment but it will turn out better in the end." Jack looked up at Evelyn's head that hung forward. He lifted up his hand and pressed his index finger under her chin and tilted her head up.

Evelyn's eyes instantly shot up and looked at Jack's soft face. There was a moment of silence between the two for a second. "So what do I do now?" She asked softly.

The pirate lowered his arm to rest on his thigh again, dangling his hand. "Move on, I guess." Jack shrugged lazily,

"I don't know how." Evelyn shook her head side to side gently, her eyes never leaving his face. "I've never felt what it's like to have your heartbroken before."