19

The sun rose the next morning and the girls were already up and about. Smoke and ash filled the air on the island. "Are you sure this is going to work?" Evelyn asked Elizabeth as she threw in another box of rum into the pile of of other boxes that were on fire. The smoke was soaring high in the sky as the girls fed the fire more boxes.

"I know it will." Elizabeth panted as she threw in another box. An explosion from within the fire caused the girls to jump.

"No! Not good! Stop! No good!" Jack shouted waving his arms around like a mad man as he ran over to the girls. They turned around and started walking over to meet Jack halfway. "What are you doing?" He asked looking between the two of them. "You're burning all the food! The shade! The rum!"

"Yes, the rum is gone." Elizabeth called to him, walking past him.

"Why is the rum gone?" He asked in a panic.

Elizabeth turned to face Jack. "One, because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. Two, that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire Royal Navy is out looking for me. Do you really think there is even the slightest chance they won't see it?"

"But why is the rum gone." Jack asked again shaking his hands. As Elizabeth turned around, Jack turned to face Evelyn. "How could you let this happen?" He whisper yelled to her with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry, Jack, I really am but we need to get off this island." Evelyn whispered softly, a bit of guilt hitting her stomach. "I promise, when we get off this island, I'll buy you as much rum as you want."

Jack pursed his lips together, tilting his head as he looked at Evelyn. He struggled deciding on what he should say. "Fine but I'm still not happy with you." He said pointing at Evelyn. Turning on his heels, he looked at Elizabeth sitting down on the sand. "Now as for you-"

"Just wait, Captain Sparrow," Elizabeth cut him off. "You give it an hour, maybe two, keep with your eye wide open and you will see white sails on that horizon."

Jack snapped. He shook as he reached to pull out his gun, cocking it while doing so. He held a fist and pursed his lips together again. Putting his gun away, Jack took off marching along the shoreline.

Evelyn innocently watched him march away in anger. She held her hands in front of her and kept her eyes on the shrinking figure. "Wow...he really is upset about the rum."

"Well I don't really care." Elizabeth said rudely, pulling her knees to her chest.

"Of course you don't." Evelyn said lightly, reaching up to the corset belt and unbuckling it to take off. A blush crept on to her cheeks even if no one was looking at her expose tummy. Tossing it to the side, she walked up beside Elizabeth and sat down beside her on the sand. The sat in silence looking out into the crystal clear water. "Do you think Will is okay?" Evelyn asked breaking the silence as she began to pull her boots off her sweating feet.

"Once again, I don't care." Elizabeth said not taking her eyes off the ocean. "We aren't friends you know." She added.

"Trust me, I know. I never once considered you a friend." Evelyn replied glancing at her out of the corner of her eye. The two grew silent again while they waited for a ship to come by. Evelyn bent a knee up while tucking her other foot under her bent leg. She placed with her fingers and noticed how dirty her nails were. Her nose and lip twitched up in disgust. Lowering her hands, she looked up at the water and gave a sigh.

Elizabeth watched Evelyn every movement out of the corner of her eye. Some guilt swirled in her stomach, guilt for how she was talking and treating her at the moment. She knew she wouldn't apologize to the girl but she still wanted to say something to her. An agitated sigh slipped passed her lips. "I guess I should owe you a thank you." The words were foreign on her tongue, she tried to sound sincere but could tell she was struggling with the emotion.