25

Once Evelyn had fallen asleep that night, Amelia crept downstairs into the kitchen. Quietly, she snuck past all the rooms, checking to see if anyone was awake. She walked into the kitchen and closed the door. Turning on her heels, she saw three women of the kitchen staff was up. They all paused from cleaning the remaining dishes from dinner.

"Amelia? What on earth are you doing?" One of the women asked, motioning to the shawl in Amelia's hands. The women turned away from the sink to look at Amelia, waiting for an explanation.

"I have to go out for a bit, I won't be long." She replied calmly, straightening her shoulders.

"It's nearly eleven! What could you possibly be doing out this late?" The servant asked looking at the clock that rest on the wall above the kitchen door.

"It's none of your business." Amelia huffed slightly irritated, wanting nothing more than go get out of the house. "Just cover for me and watch out for Mrs. Adams for me, please." She unfolded her cream shawl and wrapped it around her shoulders.

"Yes, of course but what about Evelyn? You should be with her. The poor dear, she shouldn't be alone right now." The woman pressed her hand against her cheek and wrapped the other around her waist. The other women exchanged words of agreement, their faces falling at the thought of her.

"She's not alone, she's within the world of dreams." Amelia said through the twist of guilt. She hated to leave her alone even while she was asleep but she had to do this.

After a moment of thinking, the women exchanged glances and nodded. "Very well, just be careful dear." The servant woman said, walking over to Amelia. "We'll keep watch of Evelyn until you get back."

"Thank you, all of you." The women shared a tight lipped smile with one another. Amelia opened the back door and slipped through it.

~

Will violently hammered down on one of the new swords he was working on that night. With each bang, a picture of Evelyn with Leo flashed in his mind. His teeth grit together as he grew more and more angry. Angry with Evelyn's parents and fiance and finally himself. He threw down the hammer and let it crash on the wooden table completely. Panting, he stared down at the messy table with furrowed eyebrows and a pained expression. Will slowly turned around and sat on the barrel he use as a chair. Hunching over, he rested an elbow on his knee and rested his other on top of the table. His hand ran over his tired, sweaty face, stopping to cover his mouth. As Will sat there in the candle lit barn, his mind seemed to drift down memory lane.

*flashback*

"Evelyn, are you sure you won't get in trouble for being out here?" Will called ahead to Evelyn as they climbed up another grassy hill. He gripped tight of the handle for the picnic basket with one hand and a two covered swords in the other.

"I am positive I will not." Evelyn grinned, throwing a glance back over her shoulder at Will. Turning around, she walked around a wide tree trunk. "You worry too much, love, has anyone told you that?" Her signature sweet smile grew across her face. Wrapping her arms around herself, the folded blanket press tighter to her front. She leaned back against the trunk, looking at Will as he came around the tree.

Will looked down at the ground before setting the basket down. "No, not to my face." His voice was full of amusement. Looking up, he gave her a charming grin. "Why has someone said something?" He placed the swords down on top of the basket.

Evelyn giggled and peeled herself off of the trunk. "Only me." She walked a few steps away from Will and opened her arms. She shook the blanket to unfold and flipped it up in the air. Will reached up and grabbed the ends of the blanket. Together, they slowly lowered it to the ground so it laid perfectly on the ground. Will picked up the swords and the basket and sat them down on the blanket. Evelyn kicked off her shoes. She walked across the grass like a dancer. Grabbing the skirt of her dress with one hand, she started to sway and spin around. Will looked up from the basket to see her twirling without a care in the world. A smile blossomed across his face as he watched her. Standing up, he walked over to her and took her free hand into his. Evelyn opened her eyes in surprised at that and looked at him. A smile grew on her lips as well once her eyes met his. Will twirled her to his chest. They laughed softly once Evelyn crashed into chest. Evelyn turned around and looked at the sun shinning in the sky. She reached up to touch a ray of the sun and waved her fingers through it.