24

Evelyn stood on the side of the ship. She held her chin high and placed her hands palms down on the wet, wooden ledge. Her eyes were glued to the docks of Port Royal as they began to dock the ship. She didn't want to be where she was. She didn't want to get off the ship and go home. She didn't want it to be over.

While Evelyn was staring off at the docks, she didn't seem to notice a particular man staring at her far from her side. Will stood facing the Port Royal docks as well but his head turned to look at her. He felt stupid, he was stupid. Even if he said something what good would that do for the both of them? False hope and broken hearts over simple words that mean so much to them.

His brown eyes studied her body posture and facial expression. He knew her like the back of his hand. She didn't want to go home and face her parents and her marriage. Will's brown eyes flickered down her now curly strawberry blonde hair, admiring the color and style. Moving his eyes up, he studied her side profile. The curve of her nose and the jawline that grew slightly visible since she elegantly raised her chin.

A pit formed in his stomach for him to talk to her. And yet, such hesitation remained in his lower abdomen. Nonetheless, he turned his body in the direction of his face and walked over to her side. He was quiet in his steps as he reached her right side. Will's presents caught Evelyn's attention. She perked up and turned her head to look at him. Their eyes met but nothing was said. The wind blew a cool breeze with a scent of the fishy salt water through their hair. Will and Evelyn's face soften as they looked at each other. Will broke the silence between them with a simple conversation starter. "Are you ready to go home?" He asked her.

Evelyn's face fell slightly. "No. I've been dreading going home the whole way back." She turned her head back forward to look at the sailors getting ready for the ship to be docked.

Will kept his eyes on her and all that came out was "I'm sorry." The corner of Evelyn's mouth that Will could see jerked up. This encouraged him to say the next thing. He glanced down and then looked back up at her. "Evelyn, I never thanked you-at least I don't think I did."

Evelyn turned her whole body to face him, her eyes slightly wide in surprise by what he said. "For what?" She asked curiously.

Will looked down at the deck as he talked quickly. "For coming with me. For your help with everything. Thank you for risking your life to save mine. Thank you for helping me save someone you don't particularly like." He looks up to meet her eyes. "Thank you for all that you do for me." His brown eyes poured into her emerald ones as he staring deeply at her. "Thank you."

A blush crept up Evelyn's neck to her face. Her eyes flickered down shyly then up to meet his. "You're welcome...I mean what are...friends for?" She hesitated before adding another sentence. "I will always be there for you, Will." And she meant every word.

It was Will's turn to blush now. He still couldn't grasp why-why is she still so kind to him after how he treated and spoke to her? Will couldn't help but ask "Why? Why me?"

Evelyn just stared at him. "You should know." She said quietly. Turning on her heels forward, she closed her eyes and felt the salty sea breeze blow around her again. "I don't want to go home." She said louder, changing the subject. "It's making me sick to my stomach just thinking about it." The sound of Will's boots moving closer to her caused her eyelids to fly open.

He stood at her side facing forward. "I know, I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could do." Will said turning his head to look down at her. "You could've done something." Evelyn whispered under breath. Yet it caught Will's ear. Just that comment felt like knifes being thrusted into his gut. His face remained calm as hesitated before speaking. "Like what, Evelyn?" He asked softly.