26

The next morning arrived and the day of Evelyn's wedding had come. The bride to be slowly opened her eyes and looked at the sun shinning through her balcony window. Lifting her face, she pressing it into her fluffy pillows and groaned. The noise of a dish clattering caused her to perk up. She rolled over on to her back and sat up. Her emerald eyes set on Amelia and a few other maids standing in front of her bed with beaming smiles. "Happy birthday!" They all exclaimed happily. A big smile grew on Evelyn's tired face. She pulled her knees to her chest and rested her elbows on top as she covered her mouth. A giggle slipped through her teeth as she removed her hands and laid out her legs again. A tray full of food and tea was placed on her lap. "Thank you all, this perfect." She said looking at her breakfast. Little breakfast pastries, eggs, and sausage were placed on the plate beside her already made tea.

Amelia walked around her bed and wrapped her arms around her shoulders. She pressed a kiss on top of Evelyn's head. "Happy birthday, my love. I know this isn't the day you'd hoped for but we hope that we can make it special for you some way."

Evelyn's stomach dropped when she realized today was also her wedding day. "Thank you, all of you. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have any of you...you're all my family." She said softly, giving them all a smile. The women around Evelyn replied in agreement.

"I can't believe you're eighteen years old." Amelia gave a little laugh in disbelief. "I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday, just this tiny little baby with the most beautiful eyes. After your mother went to sleep, I held you and rocked you to sleep. Every chance I got I was always holding you and just making sure you were happy. You know it was my idea to name you Evelyn. I was never able to have children so being here to raise you makes up for it." Amelia had tears welled up in her eyes.

Evelyn looked up and gave Amelia a heartfelt smile. She opened her arms and wrapped them around Amelia's torso. She rested her head against her stomach. "I love you, Amelia, you've always been such a wonderful mother to me."

Amelia gave a smile and held her. "And I love you, just like you were my own daughter." The maids around exchanged smiles and tearful expressions. Amelia stood tall and sniffled. "Alright, enough of that, now you must eat and I must get you ready." She held Evelyn's chin and smiled as she shook it.

Letting out a few laughs, Evelyn unwrapped her arms and gave a smile. She turned to face her food and began eating it. "Evelyn!" A loud voice sang, startling the girl. "Oh no." She mumbled with mouth full of a pastry. Looking up, Evelyn saw her mother already dressed and ready for the wedding. "Oh my darling, girl, did you sleep well?" She asked walking around the bed and to the side. Margaret held her daughters chin and looked at her.

"Not enough." Evelyn replied monotone after she swallowed her food.

"Oh you can sleep tomorrow! Happy birthday, darling. I brought you an early present." Margaret lifted her hand with a small wrapped box with a red ribbon tied on top. Taking the present, Evelyn opened the box and pulled out a brown leather journal. "I thought it would be helpful to write a schedule for your gardening. What days to water or when to weed. Or perhaps, you can use it to write in about anything."

Evelyn flipped through the blank pages and ran a hand over the tan paper. "Thank you, mother. It's very thoughtful of you." She said looking up at her mother.

"Isn't it?" She smirked and walked away from her daughter. "Get up and get ready. Amelia, make sure everything is perfect." Margaret said without evening giving a sideways glance.

Once the door closed, Evelyn let out a breath she was holding in. "She acting like nothing happened last night." She said to Amelia.

"You know I picked out the bloody journal for your mother. Don't even give me any credit for it." Amelia grumbled walking over to Evelyn's side again.