i.

chapter i:

chapter i:

new lives

Kiara

"WE HAVE TO GO, NOW!" The people that got us out of the Maze rushed the remaining Gladers off the helicopter. Everything was happening so fast. Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me in the direction everyone else was running.

I took a peep over my shoulder, seeing figures stumbling down the giant dune. I couldn't make out what they looked like, but they weren't normal, that's for sure. "Come on, Ara, lets go!" I turned back to Teresa's voice and ran after her.

The soldier forced our group forward, to the large building in front of us. The large doors slid open, letting us through. When all of us made it inside, the doors creaked, locking us inside. After taking some heavy breaths, I took in my surroundings.

The inside of the building was like a factory, workers running around and machines everywhere. A couple of guards came forward. "Come on, all of you! Follow me," one of them called. We looked at each other before listening to the guard.

"You," the other one pointed at me. "Come with me." I glanced at my friends, before following the man. He led me down a hallway. People continued to run past us, all of them in a hurry.

We reached a door. He opened letting me through. I went inside, and was met with a woman. "Ah, you must be one of the new arrivals," she said cheerily. She was average height, and wore a stark white lab coat and a pair of black pants. She glanced over me, before her eyes landed on my injured shoulder.

"Goodness. What happened?" The woman stepped over to me, and started to remove the bandage. I winced as her fingers grazed the wound. "That's going to need some stitches, but it's nothing too major," she said. I nodded.

She led me to a medical table and instructed me to sit. She brought out some thread and needles. She pulled out a syringe. "This will only hurt a bit." She injected the liquid into my shoulder. I twitched as my arm soon became numb.

The woman threaded the Griever bite marks. I watched carefully as she did her work. When she finished, she wiped the area clean. "There. Just be careful when you move your shoulder until it heals." I bobbed my head silently. The woman stood up and gestured for me to follow her.

I did so, and walked with her out of the room. "I'll let you get something to eat, then you will join your friends," she explained. The woman brought me into a room, with a large table full of food. I restrained myself from running over and grabbing all of it.

I quietly sat down and started filling my dish. When my plate was full to the brim, I started scarfing down the food. Not eating properly for a few years really takes a toll on you. The woman who brought me in chuckled at me.