xiii.

chapter xiii:

past uncovered

"HOW EXACTLY DO YOU KNOW ME?" I watched Jorge expectantly as he stood in front of me. A small smile came on the older man's face. "It's a long story, hermana," he said. I settled into the beat-up couch. "By the looks of it, I have time," I stated. "So, get on with it."

Jorge chuckled at my words. "Very persistent, just like your mother." My eyebrows rose to the ceiling. "You knew my mother?" "I knew your whole family, as a matter of fact," he confirmed. I tried to hold in my shock, but it was quite evident by now.

A million questions about my past circled my brain, and it was difficult to choose one. "What were they like," I finally settled with. Jorge scratched his chin, before sitting down next to me.

"I was a close friend of your mother Lillian, before I met you. I came for a visit one day and met Henry, who was your father. I also had the pleasure of meeting you and your sister Ivy." Visions of the dream I had in the WCKD compound appeared in my mind. So the two girls were me and my sister.

"Your mother was a strong person who never stopped fighting for her family. She joined WCKD to keep you and Ivy safe from them." I peered at him, confused by his statement. "What do you mean, to keep us safe?"

Jorge gave me a deadpan look. "What did WCKD need you for in the first place?" My confusion cleared for a moment and it suddenly made more sense. "But, nobody knows if I'm immune," I thought aloud.

"Your parents knew, and I would assume your sister knows," Jorge quickly explained. "Wherever they are right now, I'm sure they're looking for you." His sentence made my jaw hang loosely.

"They're still alive," I nearly exclaimed. Jorge's face grew stern but solemn. "Your mother and Ivy are somewhere, but your father is gone. He died trying to protect his family," he said softly. I felt my heart break at his words. I rested my back against the coach staring at the floor.

I may not remember him, but he still was my father. He helped raise me. I felt a weight on my arm, and looked to the side seeing Jorge patting it. "I'm sorry." Suddenly, a man walked up. "The kids are good, Jorge." The man beside me nodded, standing up. "Brenda," Jorge called.

The girl came over and leaned over the coach. "What's up," she asked. "I need to go talk to the kids. Can you keep Kiara company?" "No problem." She grabbed me by my shoulders gingerly, lifting me up. "Follow me," she said.

I turned to Jorge. "Don't hurt them, or I won't hesitate to kill you," I threatened. "I won't, Kiara. I just need a little information," he said, a chuckle in his throat. I nodded. "But wait, what about me? I came in with them," I questioned, my brows furrowing.