iv.

chapter iv:

chapter iv:

☇all their lies

Kiara

I WOKE UP AFTER AN EVENTFUL NIGHT. When Thomas and I returned from our meeting with Aris, the other guys were still asleep. When I landed under my covers, I was out like a light. I sat up, rubbing the tiredness from my eyes.

I noticed the rest of the boys were up, and sitting in a circle. By the looks of it, Thomas was explaining what happened last night. I stepped down my ladder and sat down next to Minho. "What did I miss," I yawned.

"Thomas was explaining how you shanks saw something weird last night," Minho said. "Oh yeah. It was strange. There were these bodies or something on stretchers. The doctors here are doing something with or to them in a room that we couldn't get into," I explained.

"That's what Tommy was saying," Newt said, pointing to Thomas. Before we could get any farther into the conversation, the door slammed open. We shot up, staring at the people in the doorway.

"Sorry if we disturbed any of your sleep," Dr. Parzen apologized sweetly. I narrowed my eyes at the woman. "I just need Kiara." Everyone spun to me. I raised an eyebrow, completely clueless. "We need to run some more tests," she said.

It clicked in my brain, remembering when she said I would have to finish my tests today. I nodded, and began leaving. Thomas grabbed my arm lightly. "Be careful," he whispered, then let me go.

I left the room, following the doctor. I watched her every move, looking for anything that was suspicious. Everything seemed fine, but after last night, my mind wasn't having it. She was deceiving us all. I knew it.

Dr. Parzen lead me to a small room that was very far in the back of the facility. "We'll be running the rest of your tests in here. Make yourself comfortable." You're the one making me uncomfortable, I thought to myself.

I stepped inside and glanced around. It was a medical room, like the one I had first met Dr. Parzen in. She followed me. The woman motioned for me to sit down on the bed. I plopped down on the medical bed, leaning my back against the pillows.

She placed her clipboard in the table. The door opened, revealing Janson. "Sorry to bother you, but may I speak with you, Doctor?" The woman nodded, and walked with him out of the room. When the door closed, I stood up and hurried over to the door.

I'm not usually one to eavesdrop, but I needed information. I leaned my ear against the door, struggling to hear their voices. I finally was able to make out what the muffled sounds were.

"Did you get her blood tests back yet," Janson had asked. "Yes, but they remain to be inconclusive. We still have no idea if she is immune or not." My stomach dropped. I could not be immune? What if they were talking about someone else? I highly doubt it, my subconscious butted in. I pressed my ear harder to the door.

"Well, maybe if she received her memories, we'll know," Janson said. I pressed my brows together. They can give us our memories back, or were they just saying that's what they wished they could do?

I heard fading footsteps and realized they had walked away from the room. I straightened up from the door, and looked around the room. My eyes caught the doctor's clipboard that lay on the counter.

I walked over cautiously, picking up the sheet. My eyes grazed over the paper. It was my blood tests. There must be something they need. My stomach churned as I read the page. What did they want from me? What did I have that others did not?

A name was at the bottom of the page. I honed in on it. Dr. Ava Paige, Director of WCKD. My eyes widened in realization. The clipboard clattered to the floor. I leaned against a nearby wall, feeling anger surge through me.

It was all a lie. They weren't trying to help us. They weren't against WCKD. They were WCKD. I clenched my fists, restraining myself from a frustrated cry. I spun around and punched the wall. I ignored the throbbing in my knuckles.

I heard footfalls outside the door. I whipped my head around, searching for a place to go. My heart was caught in my throat as I looked. I ran to the counter, opening one of the lower cabinets. I crawled inside and closed the cabinet.

I was just in time, as I heard the door swing open. Several people walked in. "Where did she go," one asked. They began rifling through everything. When one passed my hiding place, I covered my mouth with my hand to muffle my heavy breaths.

"Dr. Parzen," someone started shakily. "I think she knows." I heard the person pick up the clipboard from the floor. "Search the facility," Dr. Parzen ordered. "We can not let her get to the other children. We'll have an even bigger problem if she does."

The others. They were in danger. I had to find them. I heard some of the people run out, probably in search of me. There was still workers in the room, however, so there was no way for me to escape. I don't think I have the power to knock all of them out.

My body began to feel cramped. I adjusted myself, and my arm slid to the side. My hand hit a glass, which crashed loudly. I bit my lip, not moving. "Did you hear that," one of the people asked. Everything was quiet for a few moments.

Suddenly, my cabinet door swung open, and someone grabbed my leg. I cried out in surprise. I threw my fist forward, hitting the person square in the jaw. They stumbled back, giving me room to get out. I ran to escape, but two nurses seized my arms.

"LET ME GO," I yelled. "Shut the door," one of them instructed. I writhed around, attempting to escape the person's grip. They dragged me over to the medical gurney. "NO! NO, DON'T TOUCH ME," I screeched.

"Sedate her," one of them directed over my shouts. One of the nurses ran and grabbed a vial of yellow liquid. She came back over, and prepped to inject the fluid my neck. "Hold her down," the nurse commanded.

Two more people came over, and haled my shoulders against the sheets. I struggled under their force. The nurse moved my head to the side. "Please, don't do this," I begged. She stabbed the needle into my neck. A shriek of pain escaped my throat, which slowly faded. 

"No, no please. You can't do this," I pleaded. My vision became spotty. I tried to stay awake, but my mind fell into the black void.

=======================================

I am writing these chapters really quickly. I have a lot of ideas, and what to put them all in.

Anyway, see you in the next chapter. Buh-bye!