xvii.

chapter xvii:

chapter xvii:

party in the Scorch

Kiara

"TRY TO BLEND IN." I raised an eyebrow at Brenda. "How exactly do you blend in," I asked. The girl shrugged. "Just stay quiet and follow my lead."

I trailed behind Brenda, taking in the destroyed city around me. People ambled around, scavenging for food and supplies. The barks of some dogs were heard throughout the avenue. I a kid, probably about 10, walking hand and hand with an older woman.

The three of us passed through an archway and onto a busier street. I could catch a few snippets of conversation here an there. Shredded cloths and clotheslines hung above us. Brenda walked onto the patio of one of the buildings.

A bunch of teenagers stood around, and let me just say, they did not look healthy. Large bags were evident under their eyes, and they stumbled around as if they were drunk or high. And I'm sure they were as some were carrying bottles and or smoking.

"Are you sure this is the place," Thomas questioned beside me. "You here for the party?" Our trio turned around, seeing a woman. Her long blonde hair was tied into a ponytail and draped over her right shoulder. She sported a simple dress that has seen better days, and wore all sorts of jewelry. Her makeup was heavy, and made her face sag.

"Uh, no," Brenda answered her question. She eyed us weirdly, and I grew uncomfortable under her gaze. "We're looking for Marcus. This is his place, isn't it?" The woman licked her lips, and began to speak when someone cut her off. "This is my place," a voice called out.

We turned to see a man.  He took a large gulp of a dark drink before placing the bottle on a table. As we stepped forward, I got a better look at him. His blue eyes were dull, but stood out because of the thick black eyeliner around them. His lips were a sickly purple, and I don't think it was lipstick.

"Are you Marcus," Thomas asked. "Marcus doesn't live here anymore," he stated. "Do you know where we'll be able to find him," I pried. The guy jerked nervously as he replied. "Sure, sure. He's over in Zone B."

"What's Zone B?" "It's where they burn the bodies," the woman explained, running her hands over Thomas's shoulder. I felt my stomach coil nervously. "Okay, look, has anyone else been by here looking for him? Group of kids around our age? They had a girl with them. Dark hair," Thomas tried.

I wanted to pull Thomas back from asking. I didn't trust the guy with the eyeliner. "You know," the guy rubbed his hand tiredly over his face. "I think they might be inside. Here." He pulled a flask filled with a green liquid.

He screwed open the cap before handing it to Thomas. "Drink this." "Are you trying to poison us," I asked before I could stop myself.

Everyone whipped their heads to me. The man chuckled creepily. "Now, now, sweetie, it's just the price of admission," he drawled out, showing his stained yellow teeth. I shuddered uneasily. His breath reeked of alcohol.