[xxxv] coward

[35]

taehyung awoke.

usually, he would've opened his eyes slowly, adjusting them to the bright light of the room... however, he just lay, eyes sealed.

he was too scared to open them, you see. he was too scared to feel the searing pain that he'd experienced not twelve hours beforehand. of course, he didn't know it was twelve hours ago. in fact, for him, it felt more like twelve days.

his sleep had been filled with blackness. every now and then he'd awoken to the red and blue flashes of the ambulance, to the feeling of something plastic covering his mouth, to the feeling of a harsh compression on his chest.

now, he just lay.

"taehyung..." a soft voice mumbled next to him.

on the other side of taehyung's eyes, jimin was sat. he was perched on the edge of an arm chair that he'd yanked beside the bed in order to hold taehyung's hand.

"i've already tried calling you, but... i'll try again."

from taehyung's point of view, he immediately recognised the voice of his best friend. it was sorrow-filled, and unlike any other emotion he'd heard before.

"i don't understand this, taehyung-ah. please, just wake up, and help me understand." a soft sniffle. "the members are waiting for you. we all are. even your family made their way down. that's right, ma and pa are here. they're here for you, tae tae."

taehyung wanted to open his eyes, but they suddenly felt glued together. he tried to open his mouth, but no air could scape the surface.

"and i know-"

"hyung?" someone called from beside the door.

taehyung categorised it forthwith as his maknae's voice.

"s-sorry, kookie." jimin sniffed from besides taehyung.

"that's ok... hey, can i have a moment with him?"

"oh, yeah, of course."

there was some shuffling and the gentle slam of the door. eventually, the atmosphere of the room was very tense, and taehyung knew it was only he and jungkook.

"tae?" he asked, his voice cracking at the end. "ah, what am i even doing here... it's not like you'll answer or anything..."

a few deep breaths later and taehyung felt the bed dip as jungkook took a seat.

"taehyung." he said, though it sounded more like an order. "please, wake up. the doctors say you will, but they said that eleven hours ago. why have you taken so long to wake up, hyung? why?" his tone became more desperate and he found himself exhaling heavily.

"i can't live with myself if you don't wake up, you ass. just wake up! just open your eyes and be kim taehyung! the alien, the vocals, the visual, the... just, please."

there was a soft pressure on taehyung's stomach and he felt the maknae's body as he gently lay himself down onto the elder.

"i know you don't mind this, because you can't even feel me, hahah..." he giggled, sniffling to himself.

you little brat.

"i haven't told you a lot about myself recently, have i? well, i suppose it's because we haven't talked.

"i received mixed responses about us, taehyung. taekook is a big thing nowadays. but, i'm sure you already know that... the fans... well, they're oblivious still, but they have their theories. they even make video analysis on it.

"did you get anything from your family? a call? a mention of my name? no? ah, well... i did. ah, i definitely did. you know, months ago, when the articles about us were first published, my mother made me swear over the phone that there was nothing going on. at the time, i didn't think it would be that big of a deal, so i swore. then i received a call two months ago from her. she did the majority of the speaking. to be completely honest with you, i was crying and begging for her to stop for the most part..."

a gentle sob shook the bed.

"you know, she told me i was fucking evil to break a promise such as that. she even called my dad to the phone, my brother to the phone... she said she wanted them to hear how weak i was. i was only weak at the time because she said that her son isn't a homosexual, therefore i wasn't her son. i have no mother.

"and then you... you said we should stop seeing each other. and fuck, i wanted to stop you, but i just didn't. i don't know why i didn't... i just wanted to kiss you, hug you, tell you that i wanted to be with you and that i didn't care about what other people thought. you were my only anchor, taehyung, and then you left. the fans were there for me, but even some of them were disgusted. you see ten positive comments, but if there's even one negative, it's all you can focus on.

"and, you know, i don't love the fans like i love you, taehyung. and i really love you. i'm so in love with you, but i'm such a fucking coward because i couldn't say it then but now it's too late-"

"i love you too."

×××

i'm in the midst of writing my next fanfic, and i think it'll be yoonmin, but i think it'll be angsty mainly...

just sort of in the mood constantly nowadays to write some sappy sad crap.

would you guys read it?