John Shelby [1]

Elsie's POV -

I wonder through the familiar grimey streets of Small Heath. Everything looks the same as I remember, the bakery, the market even the Garrison are still exactly the same.

As I walk I keep an eye out for any familiar faces. So far I've seen two of my mother's old friends who have each given me an over enthusiastic welcome and a tight hug.

However, there's a few faces I haven't seen which are the main reason for my return to Birmingham.

The Shelby's.

I grew up with them but was forced to move away when my mother got sick. We had to move out to the countryside in order for her to get better. Thankfully it worked but I had to leave my lifelong friends behind.

I have missed them all terribly but leaving John hurt the most. I have always been closer with John than the other, my mother and the Shelby's mother had been close friends and they used to joke about John and I being married one day. We used to think it was disgusting and say it would never happen but as we grew older our feelings changed.

Which was what made it all the more difficult to leave him. By that point we had begun what we thought was a secret relationship only to find out everyone knew about it after all.

I continue to wonder where ever my feet choose to take me until I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"Elsie?" Johns voice questions. Although his voice is hesitant almost as if he fears he is hallucinating and that I could disappear at any given moment.

I halt and slowly turn to face him.

"John" I whisper, meeting his gaze.

"Elsie!" He grins widely, throwing his arms open wide as I run to him.

"I missed you so much" he whispers burying his face in the crook of my neck.

"I missed you too, I love you" I murmur back.

"Thank fuck for that! I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about me and our promise" John chuckles as he pulls away from me and takes my hands.

I look at him in confusion.

Then he drops down on one knee.

To be continued ..

Will he pop the question you're all thinking ? Or will he just tie her shoelaces ? Find out in part II.