Chapter Eighteen

Lamelo's pov

I got ready for my first game for this new season. I rolled my shoulders back as I shook my wrists three times just to wake my body up. "You gonna be good lil bro" gelo said patting my back. "Rookie of the year" Zo said tapping my back and then the ceiling for good luck as he exited to the court.

It was ten minutes to go on the court so I unlocked my phone listening to one of the voicemails Imani had sent me long time ago. My nerves tuning down as I listened to her soothing voice.

"Lamelo I don't know if you will get this, but I hope you do. Today is my first photoshoot and im kind of nervous. Wish me luck .it's hard out here especially with Haileigh. By the way that's our daughters name. She looks just like you. Um... I miss you. I hope you haven't forgotten about us because I haven't forgotten about you. Congratulations for being number one draft pick to the lakers. I always knew you could do it. Its time for me to go now but please. Pleaseeee call me back. Bye... Love you."
I shut my phone off. My breathing became heavy. Her voice sounded so broken.

I caused that. "MELO" coach Walton yelled. I jogged to the court as I pulled my shirt over my head revealing my lakers jersey. "Let's go Melo! Let's go" some fans said. I smiled knowing that I came along way. "Aye Melo. look " Zo whispered nudging me as we joined arms during the anthem. I looked to see Imani putting Haileigh on her lap. As soon as Imani was me she waved a little and I winked at her.

Haileigh smiled and giggled at me. I mouthed a "come" to her. The public didn't know I had a daughter. Not even my own parents. So I had to do this. I want embarassed of her. She ran to me. "Haileigh!" Imani yelled but Haileigh didn't stop she hugged me. When Fergie finished singing her wierd version of the anthem everyone stopped as I hugged her. They awwwed.

"Everyone" I said in the mic as I held Haileigh on one hip. "This is my daughter. Say hi Haileigh"

"Hwello" she said cutely. Everyone laughed. I smiled kissing her cheek. She giggled. "This is my daughter Haileigh LaFrance Ball. I made a mistake by leaving her and her mom. I was young and scared. But now I got my mind out of the gutters and i wanna be part of this little princess life. She is a bundle of joy that I need. So this game Imma dedicate to her" I said.

Everyone clapped. My dad gave me a stern look and my mom looked in awe as her little granddaughter ran to her mother. I felt good. I felt free now. No more secrets. The guys patted my back as the lights in the stadium came back on and we got in our positions.

(30 seconds on the clock)

I was open I could shoot it from the three pointer section. I looked at Haileigh. She smiled at me. Imani locked eyes with me. Then I remembered that voicemail.

"Pleaseeee call me back. Bye...love you"

Then tears streamed down my face mixing with my sweat. I gripped the ball shooting it. Everyone stopped as it circled against the rim. Then it went inside. "AND... ITS IN! LAMELO BALL MAKING THE FIRST THREE POINTER SHOT BEFORE THE BUZZER THIS SEASON!!" the sports reporter said. I fist pumped the air. "Yeahhhh!!!" I yelled. Lonzo hugged me and then the dunked Gatorade on me. Drinks was flying and I saw Haileigh holding her mom's hand as Imani told off a guy and he pointed his finger in her face. She pushed him back and he smacked her.

My whole world paused. I saw her hold her cheek. Tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and I punched him square in the jaw. He spat out blood. I was gonna punch I'm again but I saw Haileigh hide behind Imani. She was scared. "Nonono ssh baby it's okay" I said trying to hug her. But she cried behind Imani. "Hails is okay daddy was just protecting mommy" Imani said helping me out. "Yo gelo!" I yelled.

"Yes bro?" He said putting his jacket on. "Take Haileigh around and whatever she want just put it on my tab okay?" I said. He nodded. "Come with uncle G"he said. She nodded hugging him as he took her. Imani and i walked out together.

"Why did you do that" she said.

"Because he smacked you and I couldn't watch that happen" I said matter of factly.

I turned to her. "Your cheek is raw" I said touching it lightly. She winced under my touch. I leaned my forehead onto hers. I breathed in and out. "This past week with you and Haileigh has been a dream come true. But I can't just be in her life, I want to be In yours too".

She shook her head. "Its-

"Yes it is that easy" I said. "I miss calling you babygirl"
"No Melo please st-

"I miss layng next to you " I continued. She looked down.

I lifted her chin up and then I kissed her. Feeling her lips on mine since forever made me not wanna let go. She felt like jelly in my arms. She kissed me back eventually. The sparks coming back as if they never left.

Her hands found its way to my neck and mine traveled to her skirt. "Jump" I whispered. She did as she was told. Then she hugged me and giggled as I spun her around.

"Even though I didn't show it, I love you"