2. Pity

❗️TRIGGER❗️

I push open the door gently hoping not to disturb anyone.  As I step into the little coffee shop I immediately get greeted by the smell of coffee.  I glance behind me to see Mark cheerfully inhaling the scent.  I quickly look down to my black coat that is now shiny with rain water on its water resistant sleeves. I continue walking to the counter.  Out of nowhere, I feel a warm hand intertwined with mine.  The hand pulls me to the nearest table.  I look up at Mark to see a sit-down-or-I'll-kick-you-in-the-dick type of look on his face.

I quietly giggle and sit down. "Take off your coat. You'll be fine without it," he coaxed, "what do you get anyway?"

" Caramel Macchiato," I say tugging off my jacket.

"Ok," he says walking up to the counter.  I finish pulling off my coat and see my scars on my arm.  Mocking me of my nights alone. Just me and my razor.  All alone while Deven -my stupid fucking ex- was gone.  The scars still haven't healed.  Even two weeks isn't enough to heal my wounds.  I glance at the counter and see Mark heading back our table.  I quickly tuck my arm back into my coat sleeve.

"Are you ok?" he says putting the cups down.

"Yeah, just thinking," I mutter. 

"Well," he says, trying to change the subject, "I have a question.  Why were you walking on the street?" When he asked this question my heart stung.  Tears brimmed my eyes threatening to fall.  My body tensed.  Mark noticed and grabbed my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, you don't have to-" he says concerned.

"It's fine," I frown, " my boyfriend, Deven cheated on me with another girl while I went to work. So I left and now I'm here, and I'm currently homeless." He looked as if he wanted to punch Deven's lights out.  He also had a look of sadness deep in his eyes.

"Mark, please don't feel bad for me.  I don't deserve your pity.  I don't deserve any sympathy," I said looking down to my cold hands.

"(Y/n), you're wrong.  Whoever put those thoughts in your head, they are wrong.  I'm not trying to pity you, I just want to help you and understand the problem," he grabbed my hands.  A tear slowly drifted down my rosy cheeks. "You matter even more than you think that you do.  Trust me."

"You have other people you need to care about. Like all of your fans," I glanced into his chocolate brown eyes.

"I'm worried about you right now," he said making circles with his thumb on the palm of my hand. "At least let me give you somewhere to stay."  After he finished a silence broke out in between us.  It was a sad silence.  A silence that I didn't want to break, because if I break it then Mark has to worry about me.  If I break it I'll say yes, but I can't put such a burden on Mark.

"I'm sorry I can't make you do that," I say breaking our silence and hand holding session.

"Too bad," he grabbed my hand again and yanked me out of the coffee shop.  His hands were too strong for me to break free from.  Then again I don't go outdoors much. The whole entire walk Mark basically pulled me around like a doll, until we finally made it to his apartment.  After unlocking the door, he threw open the door and shoved me onto his couch.  He then closed the door and gave a satisfied smirk.

"Welcome to your new home!"