35. Butterflies

It was so hard sleeping last night, but I made it through yesterday and today so I could enjoy this moment.  I don't know why he excites me so much, but it makes me feel like a teenager going on her first date.  I smile shamelessly at myself in the bathroom mirror.  My long-sleeved black dress hugs my arms until it reaches my shoulders.  At my shoulders it loosens and forms into straight edges that meet at the center point of my chest, making my dress look like a tight v neck shirt.

As you view downwards, the dress hugs my body until you reach my waist.  From my waist and below -all the way to just above my knees- the dress flows gently, complimenting my form.  For the first time, I feel completely happy to go on a date.  If we're being honest, I only strayed to go out with Deven.  With my limited experience in dating, this is refreshing to be going out with someone else.  I'm glad it's Ethan.

I grin at myself even more and fix a rebellious hair that keeps escaping my attempted styling.  That's gonna get annoying, I tell myself and shake my head slowly.  Then, I spray on perfume that smells of daisies and smile at my look.  Luckily, I don't have to worry about Ethan seeing me while I get ready, he stayed at a hotel last night so our date could be more normal.

It was nice of him to volunteer the option so I agreed but told him that he could stay here tonight.  He apparently 'rented a car' and he'll pick me up soon, as he told me over text.  We're eating out at a fancy restaurant called 'Black Rock' so we both agreed to dress up, he had brought an outfit and I somehow fit in this dress that I found in my closet.  Miracles happen, I guess.

I roll my eyes at my thoughts and step out of the bathroom.  Immediately, I'm met with my mom waiting for me and I tilt my head in confusion.  "Y/n, here's something that your father gave you when you were little, I just remembered it.  It's expensive so I was saving it for you when you were older.  I like Ethan so I think he deserves to see you in this beautiful necklace," my mom smiles and latches the silver chain around my neck.  The mention of my dad makes my smile drop and I reach for the small dangling item.

It's a silver locket that is covered with diamonds on the front side of it, how the hell did he afford this?  My heart hurt at the thought of my dad struggling to buy this, and how he had thought of me enough to get this.  I shake my head slowly and a pained smile falls over my face.  "Hey, hey.  Don't be sad, ok?" My mom says comfortingly, "Your father cared a lot about you, Y/n.  He just didn't want to stay around me any longer."

I shake my head at her excuses and hug her.  "It's not your fault, ok?  Also, thank you." I tell her with a large smile on my face.  Before she can reply, my phone goes off with a text from Ethan. I release her and look down at my phone.  'Really close!  Be ready!' his text reads.

"Have a good time, beautiful," my mother compliments and I can't help but feel happy.  So this is the mother-daughter moments that I missed out on when I left, I tell myself. 

"Y/n!" A small voice calls from the living room.  I turn my head in the direction of where it came from and see Lucas.  He gasps when he sees me, immediately afterward he waddles up to me.  "Ah!  So pretty!" he shouts up at me.

"Thank you, Lucas," I reach down and scoop him up in my arms, his legs wrap around my waist.  He places his chin on my chest and looks up at me.  "I'm going somewhere special."

"Disney?" he asks, eyes sparkling with anticipation.

"Nope, I'm eating somewhere fancy."

"Is Ethan gonna be there too?" Lucas questions and my eyes widen.

"Uh, yeah," I reply and he smiles. "I won't be home until it's late at night, ok?  So I wanna say goodnight to you.  Be a good boy and I'll see you in the morning," I tell him and he nods.