6: Worth It

.^^ the Bar ^^

— Ryan —

"Hey... Ryan?" Sam called up the stairs of my loft at around 5:00.

I groaned, rolling onto my feet. "You know I'm nocturnal, Sam-"

"You need to see this. As in right now." He interrupted.

I jumped over the rail, landing lithely in front of him. "What?"

He started jogging, and I followed him down the mountain at speeds that would make most olympians cry, until we stood in front of the lake. A peculiar stone was placed just barely at the edge of the water, dull and ordinary.

"So there's a new rock? So what?" I asked.

"Read what's written on it." He shivered.

I squinted, and started reading, my jaw dropping with every word.

'I am of the root and loam of Yggdrasil, Tree of Trees, Keeper of Worlds.
I am of the Salt and Iron of the first of that which kills both men and elves.
I am the Anvil of Bor, the Lost Eye of Ymir, and the Source of all Magic.'

I hit my knees before I knew what was happening. "What... is this?"

He gulped audibly. "Well... I take it Luna didn't like us losing our Moonstone... so she gave us one we couldn't break... maybe."

Casey appeared, huffing for breath. "We have a problem."

I stood on shaky knees. "Alright, What is it?"

"There's animals flooding the woods suddenly... lots of them." He stood up, breathing slower.

"How many?" I asked, trying to get my bearings.

"I couldn't count them." He shook his head.

"All kinds?"

"No, mostly herbivores. I saw wolves, bears, and cougars, as well, but they were vastly outnumbered." He shook his head again.

"Alright... and the Hunt?"

"They're still on schedule." Billy appeared, grinning widely.

"What's your issue?" I asked suspiciously.

He laughed softly, and pointed at Haven and Avery, walking out of the House.

I snarled softly. "What in the living hell-"

She grinned, placing a hand on the stone, just as the first piece of sunlight hit the stone. It shone like a beacon, and she laughed. "Well well Well... he really needed that sap."

I spread my hands. "Anyone understand what's happening? Anyone?"

Haven smiled. "I got you a replacement for that Moonstone I broke... only I ended up giving you a cosmic-level upgrade, instead. Sorry? You're welcome? I'm not really sure the right response..."

"Okay... My next question. Why?!?" I growled.

She blinked. "Because... I felt responsible? And I don't want you stuck to me like glue the rest of my life?"

I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"You were bound to the stone. I broke the stone, and pulled its moonlight into me through my blood. On accident, by the way. Anyway, if I tried to leave, you would follow. You'd have no choice. So I got you a new one, a bigger one, that'll latch onto you harder, and hopefully override the... connection." She explained clearly.