The Hawk's Heart

One flock
Four birds

One day
Two words

Waiting
Four years

Shedding
Infinite tears

Raven, Eagle
Hummingbird, Hawk

Decaying health
Numbing shock

Caged in
Forced to wait

Solitude
You'll always hate

They found a match

...

Two souls
One heart

Sudden death
Renewed start

To Liberate
Now spread your wings

And enjoy the freedom
The gift of life brings

Important Author's Note:
This prompt has special meaning. The past few days have been a time of heavy reflection for my family.

This poem is dedicated to my mother, whom on February 7th 2017 received a heart transplant after five years of waiting.

Some background: She waited four years for a match, the last seven of which were spent in a hospital twelve hours away from our family farm. We missed spending Christmas, New Year's, and both my sister and my graduations; all times when the bonds of family feel strongest.

My family flock consists of my protective eagle father, my hummingbird sister, my mother hawk, and I the raven.

Every day my mother would call and tell me about the hawk nest she would watch from her hospital window.

An hour before finding out the news of her match, the Hawk and it's fledged young stood face to face with her at the window.
My mother never gave up her fight, despite so many telling her it was hopeless. She never gave up, and suffered more than I didn't know was humanly possible.

February has heart... The echoes of these words run far deeper than you could ever imagine.