Chapter 5, A Demon: A Pledge

I glanced over to the one and only, Craig Tucker- who should be very much dead -as he spun himself around and around on my swivel chair. My hair was tossed out of my face, and was laying messily sprawled out on my bed. I had a book held above my face and my back against the soft mattress. Usually when I read something- which wasn't very often since I could hardily ever sit still -I'd block out anything and everything that tried to pardon me from the activity; Though this particular time that I decided to pick up a book and begin reading, I kept finding myself pulling the book up out of my eye sight after every other sentence to glance at the mysterious guy in my room that I had recently befriended. I say recently, but what that really means is that It literally happened an hour ago.

It was completely silent in the room.. If you didn't count the annoying sound of my twenty buck desk chair spinning a full three-sixty countless times and squeaking on just about every one of the turns. I watched him once again while lifting my book just enough to see him, this time I looked just a little bit longer; I watched him spin.

He stopped the chair with his foot forcefully and looked directly at me.
"Why're you staring so intensely, Tweek?"

I blushed and lifted my torso from the bed in shock that I had been noticed.
"GAH-! I WASN'T. I JUST-"

Craig stood on his feet. And began walking towards me. He linked his ocean eyes to my fidgeting hands as I was at a loss for an excuse.

"Relax, Tweekers, I'm only kidding."
Tweekers? Did he just call me Tweekers? He softened his gaze and plopped down next to me on the bed.

Kidding? He was gazing right into my soul when he said that. If he admitted to killing someone as a "joke", I'd turn the guy in. I sat the book down next to me on the bed.

"Uhm- you're not very.. good at jokes, Craig."

Craig shaped his eyes with a glare.
"Excuse me?"

I screeched in terror as I didn't want to face whatever wrath this guy had to offer.
"Gah! I didn't mean like the actual joke part I just - well I mean, that wasn't very funny either - but I-I didn't mean to-"

Craig did it again. He smiled with his eyes. Those deep pools of water pulling me in as I viewed his apparitional eye-smile from a safe distance.

"That was a joke.." he slapped a hand to his face, "Shit, I actually suck at humor."
he laughed with his deep nasal voice.

   I had only seen this once before; a smile. His lips thinned out as they raised in a fast motion. Every time it happened, it made my heart strings tug up a bit. I made a suggestion.

"Craig, we should start researching - you know - what you are."

Craig's smile faded over the time it had originated. His smile was now gone; But the one in his eyes had only gotten bigger. Craig didn't say another word. He plopped himself up off the bed, and walked to my desk- and yes, he did once again claim my swivel chair. I watched as he reached his hand up under his shirt and scratched at his abs. I would say stomach, but boy did he have abs. I had an almost girlish figure in comparison, and my thighs were small enough that Craig's hand could probably wrap halfway around one of them; not that it would.  Damn.  I wasn't starving myself or anything. I ate normally; and on the side I had around forty cups of coffee on a daily basis.

Now back to what was going on in the moment. Craig had already began researching without me, so of course, I did my own.  I scrolled through article after article on my illuminated phone screen, all of them mentioned 'what goes bump in the night' as quoted from the cheesy website with a key of Solomon plastered nonchalantly on it.  I was almost ninety-nine percent sure he wasn't a goblin; But that one percent still stood tall. I should keep my guard up just incase.

Around thirty minutes into our "research", I lifted my head upon hearing the oh-so-familiar sound of my crappy swivel chair popping and squeaking as Craig spun around on it to face me. He clicked his pen- actually, no; my pen. Where did he even find that? I lost that a month ago; I had a nervous breakdown because of it and everything!  Regardless to who's pen, he clicked it in one hand, and held a note pad in the other, glancing down at it as he bit his lip.

"Listen to this, Tweekers-"

Oh Jesus, why'd he have to call me that? He continued on regardless to the pout that I had made upon hearing the nickname.

"So, I keep finding the same thing. It always pops up something about a type of demon that is a "Lilin-demon"- whatever that is - but anyways, It's male form is called an incubus."
He bit his lip nervously, keeping his eyes on my own in study.

"I kept looking, but it says nothing about humans becoming incubi, so maybe it's just never happened.. until now." Craig furrowed his brows ever so slightly in a confused manner.

I began to tremble. Shake. Twitch. You name it.
"GAH!- so what y-you're saying is; You're a demon?"

"Maybe.. I don't know.. I don't feel like a demon." He broke eye contact with me - mom taught me the signs of liars - then mumbled something more about it that I didn't quite catch. I ignored the strange eye movements and mumbling and cut straight to the panicking part.  Why beat around the bush, right?

   "If my parents find out I'm harboring a demon in my room, I'll never see the light of day again-!"
I covered my face, stuttering through my sweating palms.
   "Then they're gonna think I'm a Satan worshipping slut and put holy-water in my coffee - dear Buddha - my coffee, it will be watered down for the rest of my unholy life!"

Craig interrupted me calmly.
"Tweek, calm down. I won't let anyone water down your coffee."

I looked up at him with awed eyes, my shaking now calming at the thought of nice, hot, un-watered-down coffee.
"You mean it? You swear!?!" I asked with a twitch.

He stood to his feet and began to walk towards me.
"It's not good to make promises with demons." He joked, which I got this time.

He stopped and bent over to the point his face was nearly touching mine.
His hot breath hit my face.

As I stared into his face, stunned,
I felt his pinky finger loop with mine.

an intertwining ribbon.
We never broke eye contact.

"But we can just call this a pledge."